Sandy Hook

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Sandy Hook

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm

It is sad that the first thing talked about after a tragedy, like last Friday's in CT, is gun control. CT already has very resrticive gun laws, and the guns were not leagally obtained by the shooter anyhow. Mental illness is a bigger issue than guns, as he could have done the same thing with a Machette from the hardware store, or mixed up some home made chemical weapon (ammonia and bleach for example) and gassed the school.

I had read that on the same day in China, a guy stabbed 20+ people when e went on a rampage. I guess we should talk about knife control.

The real issue was an Evil person (Wolf) went and did evil things to innocent children (sheep) and there were no good people there to defend them (Sheepdogs), because they weren't allowed to have the tools (big sharp pointy teeth) to do so. The sheepdog is scary to the sheep because he has big pointy teeth, but the sheepdog needs those to defend the sheep from the wolves. (to paraphrase Col. Grossman)
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 pm

The FBI said there was a lot of things that threw up a flag on the shooter. Cars kill more people than guns but they still allow them as well as knives. I hate to say it but the liberals view of not taking responsibility for your action is kill this country. They always blame someone else for there actions.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:22 pm

An absolute tragedy made worse by lousy and inaccurate news reporting. They got almost every fact wrong. I saw an interview with a kid on "how she felt." The media needs a butt kicking over that.

All the ghouls, including the gun control ghouls came out. I couldn't figure out why Obama came out to speak on Sunday night. Now we are hearing all the gun control arguments: we don't need assault rifles for hunting, we don't need large "high speed clips" we need to control the amount of ammunition. Never let a crisis go to waste.

We create gun free zones and highlight the unprotected and then blame the bad guys for finding them. Almost all the tragedies we have had have been in "gun free" zones.

It is amazing that when something like this happens the first response is to punish the folks who had nothing to do with it.

BTW: what is a "high speed clip?" Heard that on the news tonight. are there low-speed clips? All I have is magazines and they are all about the same speed.

I'm not a hunter. Does that mean the 2nd Amendment denies me the right to have a firearm?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Very sad indeed. Nobama didn't waste time politicizing it, if you listen to his two public comments following the shooting.

NY's Bloomberg had to jump on the bandwagon, along with other mouthy politicos. Like Rahm Emmanuel said, never waste a good crisis. I think it's a little sick.

I agree about the tiresome inaccurate reporting. First, he left the rifle in the car. Excuse me, "Assault Weapon". Then it was reported he used it in the school. Then some report said he had the rifle and a shotgun. Lots of "clips" referred to, and one reporter called the pistols "weapons of mass destruction". At one point, he had killed his father in NJ first, then his mother. Now it seems he only killed his mother.

They always report these things to death. No wonder there are sometimes copycat shooters trying to get famous, too.

This is strictly a mental health issue. Reagan emptied California's mental hospitals as Governor, then turned the whole country's nutjobs loose as President. It's nearly impossible to get someone committed long term now. It's a fine line crossing over someone's personal rights, and the lawyers drop it like a hot potato.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Just watching O'Reilly. He wants to ban assault weapons, especially the AK15. The ban must have worked. I haven't seen any.

Do I paint my DPMS pink so it won't be an assault rifle?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 pm

greener wrote:Just watching O'Reilly. He wants to ban assault weapons, especially the AK15. The ban must have worked. I haven't seen any.

Do I paint my DPMS pink so it won't be an assault rifle?
I think the AK15 was the special model for liberals. Didn't it shoot backwards?
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 pm

ak15'? what about the AR47?

-John Wayne

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 pm

bg, generally the anti-self-defensers argument (that's what I call them) is that NO ONE should have weapons similar to AR-15s and NO ONE should have "high magazine capacity," their argument has nothing to do with that the guns were illegally taken. Their argument is that they are too available, hence wanting to reinstate the AWB.

I see your point about the China knife incident, bg, but I'm not sure if the two incidents deserve to be mentioned together. 26 victims died at this recent tragedy in CT. In China, like 22 people got laceration wounds.

I know it is a popular and powerful argument for pro-self-defensers to cite hunting as a need. However, that point is irrelevant, the verbage of the 2nd amendment does not mention hunting. So yes, you don't need an AR-15 to hunt, but the 2nd amendment was written to insure that the right to bear arms was not infringed upon... Nothing to do with hunting. Now I understand there has to be boundaries with the advent of modern weapons (nuclear and the like), but that is another discussion that has an obvious answer.

What happen to those people, those poor children, was awful. I cant imagine. The only individuals more defenseless than those children would be newborn babies. How would it have turned out if those teachers could have been armed? If I read the reports right, it sounded like the guy encountered several teachers before making it to the class room. Nearly all of the people who commit these crimes with firearms prey on the defenseless, people enjoying a new movie in a gun-free theatre, little children trying to learn arithmetic protected by unarmed teachers, portions of army bases where no one is armed, a gun-free college campus. Gun-free zones just means that only criminals carry them in the area, proven time and time again. Gun-free zones aren't free, they are paid for with death. However, it has never been looked at that way, instead of just letting the teachers be armed, they will try and legislate a solution (AWB).

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 am

Well said, George.

Ownership of arms does not require a certain purpose such as hunting.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 am

I agree entirely George, All gun free Zones are in actuality Free Fire Zones, as in there will be no one to stop you so you are free to fire at will. I've heard it said a few times that if there was one good guy there illeagly carrying his/her CCW gun this could have been stopped short of what it was.

The Portland ,Or mall shooting last week was stopped by a 22 y/o CCW holder that confronted the shooter. upon having some resistance the shooter shot himself. but you won't hear this from the talking heads on the news.

-John Wayne

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 am

I had no idea CCW holder was involved in the OR shooting. Just goes to show that you are indeed right, no one mentioned this on the news.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:35 am

Aren't you just about tired of all the media sensationalizing every aspect of this
incident. They milk it for all the money they can make.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I get emails from 'Guns & Patriots', got this piece about guns stopping or limiting mass shootings in the past:

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/16/a ... -shooters/
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DeerSpy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm

It saddens me to here of some one being killed by a nut case, but i agree if we want to have the the right to own guns we should be able to take them any where we fell the need, be it to school, movie, shopping or hunting.

I think some of these movies and video games might put ideals in some of the nut cases minds.