Reactive Targets

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Reactive Targets

Post by greener » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

went to a new range with some folks I know. Spent some time (most of the afternoon) shooting at "reactive" targets. Walt had a great idea for hanging up clay pigeons. Surefit(?) sells hangers that attach to a rope or from a dowel.

Another shooter had the 4" steel disks that swung 180° when hit. We spent an hour with Ruger MK's competing on getting six on the other side. More fun than the range I normally use, no reactive targets allowed.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Reactive Targets

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm

greener wrote:went to a new range with some folks I know. Spent some time (most of the afternoon) shooting at "reactive" targets. Walt had a great idea for hanging up clay pigeons. Surefit(?) sells hangers that attach to a rope or from a dowel.
Another shooter had the 4" steel disks that swung 180° when hit. We spent an hour with Ruger MK's competing on getting six on the other side. More fun than the range I normally use, no reactive targets allowed.
That looks like alot of fun. I have been thinking of using clays pigeons on the outside range, but the club is getting a little picky because of some ricochets off the steel plates lately.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 am

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:13 am

I use clay pigeons for targets a lot. I usually prop them up against the bank which is okay, but not nearly as convenient as the system you show.

I surfed a bit without luck: Any details on the "hangers" used to suspend the birds?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 am

Looks like a Fun day at the range....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am

Found 'em...

Sure Site

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Clay Pigeon Clips

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Those clips are nice but too pricey in my opinion.

I use paper clips to accomplish the same thing and if you should accidentally hit one, no big deal. Paper clips are also almost impossible to shoot off the line or cord or chain or whatever you hang them from, so clean up is limited to just the remains of the clays.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Clay Pigeon Clips

Post by Downeaster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 am

arizona-hermit wrote:Those clips are nice but too pricey in my opinion.

I use paper clips to accomplish the same thing and if you should accidentally hit one, no big deal. Paper clips are also almost impossible to shoot off the line or cord or chain or whatever you hang them from, so clean up is limited to just the remains of the clays.
That's an economical idea, but I shoot in a pretty rough area. Hanging the birds on paperclips, then hiking 50 or a hundred yards back to the firing line only to find out that the wind has blown half my birds off the clips would not result in socially acceptable conversation on my part, if ya know what I mean...

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 am

These do hold the clays tightly. It would take a pretty good wind to knock them off.

greener

Re: Clay Pigeon Clips

Post by greener » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 am

arizona-hermit wrote:Those clips are nice but too pricey in my opinion.

$21.50 for a package of 50

http://suresiteinc.com/price_list.php

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DeerSpy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 am

it is more fun for the young to see something happen when you shoot, we use a piece of plywood with 1x4 notched works great. you can set clays up or empty shotgun shells on 1x4