Armed senior citizens

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Armed senior citizens

Post by Hakaman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

Watch out for the 'armed senior citizens', they're everywhere, thankfully:
Florida senior citizen Samuel Williams thwarted a robbery at the Palms Internet Cafe when he managed to quietly pull his concealed gun and shot the would-be robbers. Williams, who is being hailed as a hero by Internet cafe patrons for quickly taking action when the armed robbers rushed in wearing masks and smashing computer screens, according to The Blaze.

Williams was seated near the back of the cafe when Duwayne Henderson, 19, pointed a handgun at customers inside the Palms Internet Cafe. Davis Dawkins, also 19, is shown in cafe surveillance tapes swinging a bat, the Ocala News reports.

When Henderson turned his back, Samuel Williams pulled his .380-caliber semi-automatic handgun from his concealed holster, took several steps and then dropped to one knee and fired two shots at Henderson as he bolted for the door. Samuel Williams walked closer to the door of the Palms Internet Cafe and continued firing at Dawkins and Henderson. The two would-be robbers reportedly “fell over one another” trying to get away from the building.

Neither Henderson or Dawkins suffered life-threatening gunshot wounds and were later arrested by local law enforcement officers. The men were charged with attempted armed robber with a firearm and felony criminal mischief. Henderson is currently being housed at the Marion County Jail and Dawkins was released after posting bond.

“I think he is wonderful. If he wouldn’t have been there, there could have been some innocent people shot,” Palms Internet Cafe patron and shooting witness Mary Beach told the Ocala News.

Samuel Williams holds a Florida concealed carry permit and will not face any criminal charges for shooting the armed suspects at the Palms Internet Cafe, according statements made by Florida State Attorney’s Office representative Bill Gladson to the Ocala News.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDo7W9TOGM

haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Tooo old to run, too old to fight, too old to survive a serious butt kicking, there is no other alternative, SA Mict=ro Compact of S&W 422 wwith +P.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:20 pm

^^^ In the same boat (disabled, old and crippled) but carry a Compact 45.... :wink:

When seconds count help from the authorities are normally minutes away. By the time they would have arrived they would be long gone..
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 am

blue68f100 wrote:^^^ In the same boat (disabled, old and crippled) but carry a Compact 45.... :wink:

When seconds count help from the authorities are normally minutes away. By the time they would have arrived they would be long gone..
Minutes away if you make the 911 call and you live in or near a city and they aren't busy with other calls. Out in the sticks its probably very long few minutes. In the winter they could be on the other side of the county and it could be snowing. My only call (non-911) to Henrico County PD was responded to the next day and took 3 tries to get to voice mail.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:21 am

The Richmond Times Dispatch is doing a series on firearms (handguns, mostly). Handgun sales have increased significantly in the past 4 years. Crime has decreased.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local ... b30f31a.ht

The second article. It seems that people are more concerned about being able to protect themselves, although elections seem to have influenced area gun sales.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state ... 0439b.html

A commenter to this article said all handguns without external hammers and safeties were unsafe and prone to accidental discharges and should be banned. .357's used by the police in the past didn't go off accidentally and were safe. I have two revolvers that were police carries. Neither have safeties. I guess I've been lucky they haven't gone off by themselves.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:20 am

If you were the senior citizen in this video, would you have responded like he did, and 'when' he did? Or would your SD methods differ from his? For me, I wouldn't have opened fire at the point he did because I don't think the bg's were going to shoot anybody, but just rob them. I a court of law, with lawyers as crafty as they are, I could see someone like this old man getting prosecuted. It gives me pleasure, although, to see the bg's get some lead passed their way for their effort, even 'when' the senior responded, but I don't think I would respond at that point due to the consequences of my actions might be. Please feel free to disagree, I sort of expect it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 am

I would, if a gun is pointed at or near m, IO will not waii to get shot before shooting back.. Gun pointed at you is a threat to your life and should be treated that way.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:48 am

Hakaman wrote:For me, I wouldn't have opened fire at the point he did because I don't think the bg's were going to shoot anybody, but just rob them.
You're too trusting.
Depending on the kindness of strangers is one thing, but when those strangers are threatening you with deadly force, you can stop expecting them to be good boys.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 pm

This is the mess that happens when there isn't any CPL'ers present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H78RX5sH ... 7EE3D136AE

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&l ... 7EE3D136AE

Preferable to the extended cluster-(bleep) you posted, Hakaman.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Hakaman wrote:If you were the senior citizen in this video, would you have responded like he did, and 'when' he did? Or would your SD methods differ from his? For me, I wouldn't have opened fire at the point he did because I don't think the bg's were going to shoot anybody, but just rob them. I a court of law, with lawyers as crafty as they are, I could see someone like this old man getting prosecuted. It gives me pleasure, although, to see the bg's get some lead passed their way for their effort, even 'when' the senior responded, but I don't think I would respond at that point due to the consequences of my actions might be. Please feel free to disagree, I sort of expect it.
when would you have? after the bd guy shot the clerk? I would agree with the old man a robber pointing a gun at someone has put that person in a life or death situation, deadly force would be justifiable at that point. and as for the old man shooting as the bad guys fled that could be a sticky spot for the old man unless he could explain that he believed that the robbers presented an immenant threat to society at that time.

As for civil liability you can expect to be sued civilly if you shoot someone in self defense. some of the gurus promote setting up a saving account for leagal fees just in case.....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:46 pm

when would you have? after the bd guy shot the clerk?
Each and every situation is different. Personally, I don't think the bg's would have shot anyone in this particular incident, and not being a LEO, I think I would wait for a life or death situation. I don't think it's a life or death situation in this video. A similar situation was posted in here inre of a hold up at a crowded Burger King where a CPL'r pulled his gun and tried shooting the bg. I'm not sure if he killed him, but the cpl'r got shot twice. I don't wish to be shot when I don't have to be, especially when this guy in the burger king was not going to shoot anyone, IMO. The OM in the vid could well have received some free lead, himself. People have different interpretations of life and death situations, in which CPL'rs are suppose to wait for in order to use deadly force.
JMO, Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Tough decisions on whether to use a firearm and when to use it. I don't think you can wait and see what the bg is going to do.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm

The thought of having to use deadly force is one that anyone who carries a firearm needs to come to grips with before they decide to carry.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 am

You have to assume anyone using a gun in a crime is going to use it if he's flashing it. Since they came in with guns drawn most definitely. Assuming not will can/get you shot/killed for sure. He picked his timing when the robber had his back to him. It's a decision you have to make at that moment.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911