Rules of a Gunfight

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Rules of a Gunfight

Post by Hakaman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 am

The rules of a gunfight:

Some words to the wise….

Shooting Advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors:

If you own a gun, you will appreciate this.

If not, you should get one and learn how to use it:

A: Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

B: It's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

C: Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D: Never let someone or something that threatens you get within your arm’s length.

E: Never say "I've got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

F: The average response time of a 911 call is23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is1400 feet per second.

G: The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win – cheat if necessary.

H: Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets . . . You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it'll be empty.

If you're in a gun fight:
1. If you're not shooting, you should be loading.
2. If you're not loading, you should be movin,
3. If you're not movin', you're dead.

J: In a life and death situation, do something . . . It may be wrong, but do something!

K: If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense!
If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L: You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.

M: Forget the save the planet nonsense, it doesn't need saving, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:54 am

Very good, but you missed the number one rule of a gunfight:

Bring a gun!............ :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 am

Haka you make a lott of sense. Usually caary 2, as the fastest reload is grab anotherngun from your weak side carry.
Yog lady asked me once, you carry 2 guns are you afraid of someone, told her NO.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Good rules, those have been around for some time.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Don't remember who said this (Clint Smith maybe?) but it goes something like:

"Don't carry a handgun because you expect trouble. If you EXPECT trouble, bring a rifle, and friends with rifles."
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Young lady asked me once, you carry 2 guns are you afraid of someone, told her NO.
Preparation does have a tendency to overcome fear, doesn't it.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:32 am

Lots of good stuff so far. I would say avoiding a gunfight is the best way to win. Not putting yourself in a position to be victimized, and being alert to your surrounding to see trouble coming from a distance.

But if you prepare youself to win, by practicing everything from your draw stroke to trigger press and follow through. From both a normal stance and from a bad position ,as if you were knocked down to the ground. You can increase your chances of winning.

A few years back dad and I went out shooting and he was shooting really well. Nice tight groups. He was taking his time, picking up the gun from the shooting bench,aligning the sights, smooth press of the trigger. I gave him a belt holster and had him try a few quick shots from the draw. The addition of the draw step made his groups quadruple in size.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am

A lull in the action at the pistol range promotes conversation. Usually gun owners aren't afraid of giving their opinion at such times. We were talking gun carry tactics and self defense during a session the other day and one of the fellows brought up the thought of a retired policeman who refuses to carry due to the fear of legal consequences involved if and when you use your gun in a self defense situation. Personally, I think 80% +/- of the CPLers don't realize what those consequences are. I don't know all the consequences myself, but they are definitely a consideration to me. What do you think of this policeman's decision?
Last edited by Hakaman on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Hakaman wrote:A lull in the action at the pistol range promotes conversation. Usually gun owners aren't afraid of giving their opinion at such times. We were talking gun carry tactics and self defense during a session the other day and one of the fellows brought up the thought of a retired policeman who refuses to carry due to the fear of legal consequences involved if and when you use your gun in a self defense situation. Personally, I think 80% +/- of the CPLers don't realize what those consequences are. I don't know all the consequences myself. This is definitely a deterrent to me. What do you think of this policeman's decision?
Doesn't matter....if he doesn't survive.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 pm

"H" is a problem, if your range doesn't allow rapid fire practice.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm

"D" is way too close. He's already there.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Hakaman wrote:A lull in the action at the pistol range promotes conversation. Usually gun owners aren't afraid of giving their opinion at such times. We were talking gun carry tactics and self defense during a session the other day and one of the fellows brought up the thought of a retired policeman who refuses to carry due to the fear of legal consequences involved if and when you use your gun in a self defense situation. Personally, I think 80% +/- of the CPLers don't realize what those consequences are. I don't know all the consequences myself, but they are definitely a consideration to me. What do you think of this policeman's decision?
I guess its a decision he's made for what best for him.... if you aren't prepared mentally to use your carry piece, don't carry. with thinking like that its good he got out of policework.

I'd hate to think if i chose not to carry off duty, and was somewhere and could have stopped a shooter like in that theater in CO, or at church, etc... and could have stopped it if I had a gun, but stood there helpless....

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I'd hate to think if i chose not to carry off duty, and was somewhere and could have stopped a shooter like in that theater in CO, or at church, etc... and could have stopped it if I had a gun, but stood there helpless....
Good points. I think what scares civilians is that they are scrutinized severely for SD situations, as they should be, but fear the amount of money it would take to get represented adequately. I guess it's better to spend some cash then end up 6 ft under?
haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Good points. I think what scares civilians is that they are scrutinized severely for SD situations, as they should be, but fear the amount of money it would take to get represented adequately. I guess it's better to spend some cash then end up 6 ft under?
haka
if anyone is monday moning quaterbacked for a shooting its police, not civillians in a SD shooting. I've seen a few cops go through civil suits and they all say thats worse emotionally than the shooting was.

I think Its Mas Aayoob who touts CCW holders to put away a "defense fund" just in case....

-John Wayne