It isn't loaded

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

It isn't loaded

Post by greener » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Said the guy almost directly in front of me who was cycling the bolt on his Ruger as I walked back to the firing line from the target line. He was old enough and gray enough to know better. In fact there was an 8-year-old with better safety and range etiquette on the line.

When I'm angry I

t a l k r e a l Sloooooooooow.

he got the 45 rpm version played at 156.

edit: actually I should have put the decimal between the 5 and 6, 15.6 rpm.
Last edited by greener on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:32 pm

why is "hot range" and "cold range" such a hard concept for people to grasp?

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 pm

At the range I used to frequent, if anyone had skin on metal while someone was forward of the firing line, they would be immediately chewed out and banned from the range.

Safety is no joke and "it was not loaded" is not an acceptable response.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 pm

ITS ALWAYS LOADED! :shock:

or if you treat it if its always loaded you are waaaaay less likely to perferate somthing with an unloaded gun...... i've seen way too many holes put in things over the years by "unloaded" guns ...
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:52 am

Unfortunately many folks often need a reminder on proper firearm handling and range safety. Complacency is a big toothed monster that is constantly looking for someone to bite. Others often suffer from "My Pet Gun Fluffy" syndrome, where they get too comfortable with handling their firearms and do things they shouldn't with them. Vigilance is the key to good firearm safety.

I inspect every firearm, even in the shop, regardless of how long is was sitting unattended. This practice has saved me numerous times from having a firearms incident. Even when I'm dry firing in practice sessions and when I set the gun down for a few moments, I open and inspect before continuing my session - One can never be too careful when it comes to firearms.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 pm

A gun shop owner I know has a 10mm hole I'm one of his display cases from an unloaded glock. He left the hole there to remind him of the safety rule.

Also, I remeber earlier this summer there was a news report on remmington's "unsafe" trigger system in their shotguns and rifles, I seem to remember every sad story of accidental discharge causing injury or death would have been avoided by following basic safety rules......

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:13 pm

I assume every firearm I own is loaded. Including those I cleared at the range and cleared before I cleaned them. That includes the two cleared pistols that had a round in the chamber when I got them home.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Today while folks were down range it was the guy clearing his rifle and fiddling with the case. When I asked him to put the rifle down until while people were downrange the response was "I'm just putting it into the case."

I'm beginning to wonder about these folks.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm

It's a fine line between reminding folks of the basic safety rules and being the range Nazi.

A good way to lay out why its important could be reminding him that there are lots of anti-gun folks out there who will use any accident out there involving guns as an example why we shouldn't be trusted with guns. And you would feel really bad for him if he was used as their example.

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm

A real need for a red safety line behind the firing points at your range. No one goes forward of the red line or handles any weapons while folks are downrange.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Each firing point has a table, which serves as the line. If the range goes cold, I generally back away from the table, as almost all the folks out there do.

I think the dumb responses are defensive mechanisms for getting caught doing something you know you shouldn't.

If I've seen in on both my last two trips, how often is this going on? The county doesn't like gun ranges, as Bill said, no need to give them ammunition to bring heat on the range in addition to getting someone hurt.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 pm

For some reason a rifle is treated differently at a club I shoot at. If anybody points a handgun at anybody else they would get a arse chewing and be told to leave. About a year ago, during junior rifle shooting in basement range, the RO was uncasing the junior's rifles for the league, behind the safe line. As he was removing them from the case to the gun rack, they were pointed 'directly' at me and a friend. I could see directly down the muzzle of the gun. I informed that the rifles were pointing directly at us, with some anger mixed in, he told me 'theoretically, your right', but evidently, he still thought it was an accepted practice for rifles being uncased. I reported the incident to the club safety officer and I don't know if anything was ever done to rectify the situation? Why are rifles treated differently then hg's?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 pm

thats easy Haka, HG's are waaaay scarier than long guns.... :roll:

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 pm

The red line I mentioned is always behind the shooting points by six or eight feet and painted on the concrete. This line is designed to prevent anyone from being able to reach the table while anybody is down range. One range master ensures anyone who remains back at the firing points stays behind the red "safe" line until the range is called clear. If your range doesn't have one of these it may be a good idea to suggest one is added for extra safety.

This range uses a yellow line serving the same function for safety.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 pm

I know greener's range has no rangemaster on the line. Mine doesn't for day to day shooting either, for matches it does but thats about it.

I think a lot of the public ranges are "self policing" which, in theory, means everyone os a range maser and can call a cease fire or call out others on safety issues.... in theory

-John Wayne