Good and bad eye news

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Good and bad eye news

Post by ruger22 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Went for an eye exam today, after three years. I'm usually cheapo and only go when I have problems and think I need new glasses. Went now, because the way the economy is going, I can't be sure of keeping vision coverage at work. It's not great but covers about 25% of the bill.

The exam showed I only had a tiny change, and the doc said I really didn't need new glasses. So my eyes being no worse is great, but I was hoping for new glasses that would cause a miracle in my shooting abilities........ :roll:

I had thought about getting Transitions, the latest sun-darkening lenses. But, that would have added $100 to my not needed regular lens cost, which would equal a new gun.

Looks like the peepers are just getting old, and my shooting will remain so-so.......... :cry:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

A tip for you:
get basic glasses cheap @ zennioptical or 39dollarglasses, spend a bit more $ on prescription safety glasses for shooting
Last edited by bigfatdave on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 pm

don't you dirve a bus route? I would think they would drop dental before vision.... vision is sightly important in your profession!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 am

bigfatdave wrote:A tip for you:
get basic glasses cheap @ zennioptical or 39dollarglasses, spend a bit more $ on prescription safety glasses for shooting
+1 on zenni optical. I've gotten my last two sets of shooting glasses there.

I always get my daily wear glasses from my optician. Mainly because I've been trading with him for 35 years. But, he always gives me the prescription for the optic length to the front sight for my right eye (dominant side), the left eye I leave the normal prescription so I can see the target number and don't cross fire. Those I order from zenni. Very low prices, and quick shipping.

I got turned onto them by Motorcycle Dan on Bullseye List.

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:don't you dirve a bus route? I would think they would drop dental before vision.... vision is sightly important in your profession!
They don't care. The place is just a cash cow for the main owners in England. The routes are 24 years old, and we run like we've lost our minds to stay on schedule. The co. would have to spend money to update the routes.

Just started the third year with no contract or raise. We're in Federal mediation now to maybe avoid going on strike. Our uniform allowance hasn't increased in ten years, so we wear a uniform until it's pretty ratty.

Eyeglass wise, I always get the better polycarbonate lenses. I have two sets of frames I bought 15 years ago, titanium stays like new. I got 'em on a 2 for 1 deal, never dreamed they'd last so long.

I prefer a normal prescription setup. CCW is where my ability counts. I wouldn't want to try telling a bad guy to wait a minute while I put on my shooting glasses.......... :shock:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm

I always get the the Transitions Lenses. My eyes are light sensitive and prefer just keeping up with just one pair of glasses. My current frames are Ti and they are sure light weight when compared to my SS frames I had. My bi focal length are actually tri distances. Works best when on the computer or working at my bench. I never bring things up close to look at. If I do I just take my glasses off.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911