Too many shootings

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Some of the worst shooters I remember seeing, unfortunately, were local police. While serving as RO at the range,at 21 feet, they were missing the paper, and the wood frame that holds the target. Unbelievable, but true. I am very thankful for those police that serve, but, boy do some of them need training and practice. It doesn't surprise me at all that the police missed their target in this shooting, if they can't hit the range target in an 'unstressed' range session. I often wonder why some police lack the training, because I think anybody can be a decent shot with reasonable time spent at the range. Granted, unless you are actually in a life or death shooting situation, it's difficult to pass judgement. I wonder if police have time allotted in their day to practice?
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 pm

One report I saw said there was a total of 16 shots fired by the two officers. One fired seven rounds the other nine. Bystanders were hit by bullets or fragments from just the officer's pistols. The perpetrator was struck seven times. Not hard to tell from the video who's likely hit and which one probably missed a whole bunch. The good thing is they're both going home safe, too bad some of the bystanders can't do the same. At least none of the LEOs were wounded by the suspect in the confrontation.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Most LEO's that I know really look forward to getting home when the shift is over.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Most LEO's that I know really look forward to getting home when the shift is over.
Can't say that I blame them. Just the same, maybe an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. Maybe a little practice would help see them home when the shift is over?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Heard a news report this afternoon. All nine bystanders were wounded by the two police officers, not the gunman. Seven were hit by one officer, two by the other. Either the gunman was a better shot, or just odd coincidence he didn't hit anyone but his original target.

The officers weren't very good at the best kind of gun control, hitting what you aim at.

Bullseye's report said they fired 16 times. Seven in the gunman plus nine in bystanders is 16. So the officers hit somebody with every shot.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:40 pm

blue68f100 wrote:
greener wrote:5 yards is generous. Lack of training?
What training???? Bean counters don't know the importance of practice/training and ammo is expensive.
yup shooting 2x a year with less than a box of ammo each time is "trained" ...... don't get me started on which is more expensive range time or the dept being sued for a failure to properly train their officers.... :x
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
blue68f100 wrote:
greener wrote:5 yards is generous. Lack of training?
What training???? Bean counters don't know the importance of practice/training and ammo is expensive.
yup shooting 2x a year with less than a box of ammo each time is "trained" ...... don't get me started on which is more expensive range time or the dept being sued for a failure to properly train their officers.... :x
So, I should look for police trade-ins: some holster wear but rarely fired?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Those CPO are generally pretty good buys. A friend of mine bought a West German made Sig P220 45acp that looked brand new for $400. It did not even have any holster wear. It actually came with the original box and papers. It must have been an officer assigned to the office or detective to be as clean as it was. He also got a W German Sig P228 for the same amount that looked brand new too.

Police trade-ins can be pretty good buys in most cases.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:08 pm

I agree. Picked up an S&W M65 in great shape that way. A buddy has a number of S&W semi autos from police trade ins. I hope they know how to shoot and are wll_practised, but have about zero practical experience.