The Heat is on !

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

The Heat is on !

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:28 pm

How's the heat in your area? It's near 100 deg with high humidity in michigan. Has the heat in your area dampened you shooting range time?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:31 pm

It is definitely hot. Good thing the shop's air conditioned because I'm not spending too much time outside right now.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah I hear you Haka, I'm in N Central IN & it's been breaking records every day this week. I went to Bloomington to get my son from college today & it was 104* down there we had 101* at home. Heat index was 110* thurs 114* today & supposed to be 112* sat, then Sunday suppose to cool down to 88* with no humidity. We'll see. That's pretty bad when you get excited about 88*. Supposed to go shoot with my son tommorrow, I hope we can get some range time in before we melt. Be careful in this heat everybody.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 am

Living in Texas we expect the heat instead of the cold (snow). So far it's as been averaging above normal temps by about 3-5°F. Last year we where in a 2yr drought and under a fire ban, so I'm not complaining. 2 yrs before that we where running 10° above normal and set all kinds of records, I hope we never see again. This year we have been getting rain with just a slight increase in our normal highs. As long as the humidity stays below 50% it's bearable. Other wise it's a steam bath.

My dad is in MN and he was saying they were near 100 for several days but got some rain and cooler temps dropping the highs into the upper 80's. A front is suppose to cool the north, NE off and a chance of rain. We are expecting rain and cooler temps too from this front in the first part of next week.

I've learned over the years if you get out early in it and do it on a daily basis you get climatized to it. The bad thing about the heat is that you can only take off so much clothing. Not like the cold where you can add a second layer if needed. I have what is know as cool shirts that I wear if out in the sun. These are very light weight, vented and feel 10 deg cooler.

When I shoot it's the first thing on my list and I do it early, 8-9am. starting that early I'm through before it starts getting to hot. My outdoor range is setup under shade trees so it keeps the sun off and a light breeze makes it very nice. But a lot of times early in the morning it's dead calm with the humidity up, so it's even a little steamy then. On hot days I just move a little slower and have my mug of cold beverage near by.

As long as I'm out shooting it's a good day....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am

Biggjimm wrote: Be careful in this heat everybody.
Good advice!
When I shoot it's the first thing on my list and I do it early, 8-9am.
I was thinking of shooting service rifle this morning, you know with the jacket and everything, but it was 89 deg already at 8:30 am. No outdoor shooting today, I will wait for cooler temps.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 am

It is not the heavy jacket, or the sweatshirt underneath, that bothers me on the really hot days shooting high powered rifle. It is the sweat rolling down my forehead and into my eyes when I'm all slung up and in position. Even with a sweat band, eventually some will find their way into your eye. On the really humid days you can also experience fogging on your glasses/shooting glasses. The big thing is to stay hydrated. Out on the line it is easy to get dehydrated because you are paying attention to what you doing so much you don't notice you are losing fluids.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

On the really humid days you can also experience fogging on your glasses/shooting glasses.
Oh, I hate that when it happens :(

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:53 pm

blue68f100 wrote:I have what is know as cool shirts that I wear if out in the sun. These are very light weight, vented and feel 10 deg cooler.
That's smart. I have a few of these shirts too, they work very well. They work out great for me because I hate getting sun burned, but also don't like putting sunscreen on... In addition to going to outdoor ranges that aren't always shaded, I have a garden, so I am often in direct sun for extended periods of time working on that. The vented shirts allow me to comfortably wear long sleeves that protect me from the sun, while still being comfortable into 100F.

redmond

Post by redmond » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:37 pm

All of you in the hot areas - be careful out there.

Here in W WA we have hopes it will get up to 80 for the first time this year. What is that big shiny ball in the sky anyway??? :shock:

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:32 pm

redmond wrote:All of you in the hot areas - be careful out there.

Here in W WA we have hopes it will get up to 80 for the first time this year. What is that big shiny ball in the sky anyway??? :shock:
I was hanging around the Cedar Hills Landfill a couple years ago when the temps went above 105. Lots of sweltering folks in Western Washington. Not much AC.

My shaded back porch just hit 103. AC compressor decided not to work this afternoon. House is warming up. The new indoor shooting range in town is fully air conditioned and only $20/hr. Beginning to sound better.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:26 pm

the other day my brother-in-law said its "hotter than Hell out there" I went to the web and yes it was. 100F in Kalamazoo, Mi and 98F in Hell, MI.... so it was only slightly hotter than Hell...... :P
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:34 am

The HVAC company didn't respond to two phone calls to the service line, but did respond to an email and suggested a reset procedure I hadn't tried. Worked and cleared whatever fault in the electronics. I have a couple window fans, but the house was cooler than the outside, which stayed above 85.

Hit 104 in Richmond. Since today is supposed to be 3--4 degrees colder, I'll probably bundle up and go shooting.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 am

Your running slightly warmer than here, east texas. We only hit 98 yesterday with 50% humidity. Heat index was near 105. It was calm yesterday which made it feel hotter than normal. I hope we get some rain out of this high when it moves. Forecaster are predicting 2" of total rain starting tonight through tuesday. Will wait and see, it's the only profession I know that you can be wrong 80% of the time and still keep your job. 1 county has already has a burn ban on. I go through a lot of Gatorade during the summer months if I'm out side. I find the Bubba insulated mugs work very well in keeping things cold. When I'm working I have a rule, when I run out of drink in my mug it's time to quit and get out of the heat. This normally takes me to at least 11:00am. But at times it as taken me past noon.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 am

10:00am, only 75 deg out, ahhhhhhh, a cold spell. Going to stay in the low to
mid 80's this coming week, but heating up for next weekend again. One issue
is that there is not really a chance of rain for the next 10 days, according to
those experts who predict the weather.
H
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:26 am

9 am and 97°f outside, could be another hot one today. Some signs of a hot streak- Every time I open up the freezer door the dog wants an ice cube to chew on. I think I saw a small fluffy bunny spontaneously combust the other night, if not then it was just a spat of heat lightning. Even the chickens run around the yard stepping lightly and saying, "ew-ow" because the grass is too hot for their feet. They've been digging holes and just lying in them to stay cool. My bride's outside trying to bake some potatoes in her homemade solar oven. I'll just stay inside and enjoy the A/C a while longer.

R,
Bullseye