What's the craziest thing you've seen while outdoors?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What's the craziest thing you've seen while outdoors?

Post by Biggjimm » Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 am

I know we've all had crazy things happen while we've been hunting or at the range or just outdoors in general. A lot of times those stories start out like "You're not gonna believe..." or "You shoulda seen....." or "You'll never guess what happened to....". I know over the years I've had several but just the other day we were down at the woods shooting & my daughter said look over there, I looked & there was a doe & two fawns at the tree line about 60yds away watching us shoot. I don't know if they could hear the bullets hit the target or what but everytime we would shoot, they would look at the target like they were trying to see where we hit the target & then they would look back at us. This went on for about 10 minutes or so. It was quite comical. I wish I would of had a video camera. So there's one of my stories, let's hear yours.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 am

Many years ago, during a highpower rifle match at Oakland's Chabot Park, a heard of five to six dear walked up out of the valley in between the targets and the firing line in the middle of a rapid fire prone string. Of course we immediately called a cease-fire!

In the 1980's we had to clear the range at Camp Pendleton many times for Buffalo on the K-D range during highpower rifle matches. Those often took several hours to resolve.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 am

Watched a herd of deer appear from the smoke created by 6 105MM HE rounds on the Ft. Sill impact area. Apparently the noise disturbed their grazing and made them move off the target area.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I can't imagine how a 105 would do something like that! Were those deer or chickens? I'd have left a pile behind as I made my hasty exit.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:45 pm

The other day we were down at the woods where we go to shoot at. There's a big bare dirt spot where the old house used to be where we shoot & unless we shoot a couple bricks of ammo we clean up the brass about every three trips or so & I was getting ready to start raking up the brass & noticed this real pretty blue & orange colored bird was flying down & he would grab a spent case in his beak & toss it around 3 or 4 times then he'd fly off with it. He done that 6 or 7 times at least that we noticed. I don't know if he was taking them to his nest or what. Some species of birds are attracted to shiny things like that & others like things of a certain color. Seen one on an animal show that picked up anything that was blue that he could carry. My daughter says he was trading the brass to a pack rat for bird feed maybe. Im not sure what he was doing with them but it was interesting to watch & if he'd take them all it would make things easier on me. If you take the time to look sometimes you can see some interesting things in nature. By the way, I looked it up & this was a male Eastern Bluebird. He was a very colorful little bird. Let us know what you see or find when you are out of doors. Have a great day all. Biggjimm.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

A young couple having "intense physical activity" behind a tree as I was hiking. They were oblivious to my presence, and the noise they were making. The girl was gorgeous, she could have gotten a better looking guy....... :D

Not as good:

Once while hitch-hiking, I trusted the weather and camped out on a hilltop near the interstate. That morning an odd noise woke me up. I opened my eyes to a large doe staring me straight in the face, her nose not two feet from mine. I said "Hello, sweetheart!" and she took off into the trees. I was glad I didn't get stepped on.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols