Newbie Shooter Fun

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Newbie Shooter Fun

Post by greener » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 am

I had two husband-wife pairs next to me Sunday. The two ladies were shooting for the first time and one of the guys hadn't shot in 25 years. They were lucky to hit the 3x3 backer consistently, much less the target. I butted in and offered my .22's (MKII GC and Kimber .22 conversion) and ended up giving grip, stance and sight lessons. Observations:

12 yards is not the best distance to start new shooters, especially if one of the pistols is an LC9.

A glock 9mm compact (I'm not good with Glock namingclature) jams with Blazer brass with one shooter. Probably limp wristing. Didn't jam with my hotter loads.

The light trigger on my GC made one of the ladies nervous. The other loved it.

Always give a safety briefing before you start or you can get real excited when the pistol with the 2# trigger gets pointed at you, finger on the trigger, the second time.

One of the ladies kept telling her husband "we got to get one of those .22's."

They found out hitting the paper wasn't all that hard.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:57 am

Working with new shooters can make an ordinary trip to the range very exciting. Expect the unexpected when assisting folks with a limited familiarity of firearms is a good motto. Sounds like everyone had an enjoyable time.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 am

Good on ya!
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:26 am

I helped a lady a couple of weeks ago that was having problems hitting the target at 5 yrds, with a 9mm Karr. It was only her second time shooting and she was scared to death of the gun, she said. But with a few pointers on stance, sight alignment and grip she started to group. She was gripping the gun so tight she was shaking. She was so happy she went and got some more ammo to shoot some more. I'm taking my MKIII with me this time just encase she there again. I think it's a much better platform to start noob's on.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm

blue68f100 wrote:I helped a lady a couple of weeks ago that was having problems hitting the target at 5 yrds, with a 9mm Karr. It was only her second time shooting and she was scared to death of the gun, she said. But with a few pointers on stance, sight alignment and grip she started to group. She was gripping the gun so tight she was shaking. She was so happy she went and got some more ammo to shoot some more. I'm taking my MKIII with me this time just encase she there again. I think it's a much better platform to start noob's on.
I always take a couple .22's to the range. Good for new shooters. Also pretty good for an old shooter I see in the mirror when I have my specs on.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 am

In my case spec make no difference on me seeing the sights. I shoot with my every day glasses and it allows me to see the target but the sights are are a blur. Which is fine since I don't shoot bullseye. I have learned to point shoot pretty good seeing just enough blur sights to get it align pretty good. Now at night a can see my night sights well enough for a good alignment. If I take my glasses off I see the sights clearly but then the target is blurry. I have no problem with scopes or dot sights.

At least I'm out putting lead down range on regular basis. :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm

greener wrote:I always take a couple .22's to the range. Good for new shooters. Also pretty good for an old shooter I see in the mirror when I have my specs on.
It is always good to be able to hand someone a gun, a mag, and a big handful of ammo from the bulk box
"here, try this one for a while"