how to oppose state bill

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

how to oppose state bill

Post by piasashooter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am

Hello, I'm seeking any advice on the proper way to oppose a state bill. I have the phone numbers to call, but what exactly do I say. Are there any other options other than calling or writing a letter? Thanks

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:48 am

You could schedule a meeting with your state rep a lot of them are receptive to their constituants and will meet with them. What bill do you oppose?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 am

Speak your mind and make your point with your representative, but above all be courteous. It is better if you're not quoting some other organization's mantra. Ask your representatives what is his/her position on the subject and then listen attentively at the explanation why they are for or against the legislation.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks guys, bgreenea3, I live in Illinois, and there is a bill that would require all Illinois residents to register all handguns, with a $65.00 fee per gun, and a additional $25.00 fee for re-registering each gun every five years after the first registration. It turns out my representative is actually friends with my Dad, so we both plan to talk to him. There are some other bills also, but this one was the worst.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:12 am

Canada just repealed their LONG gun registration, they figured it cost them $12 billion since inception and had no impact on crime at all....food for thought in contacting your rep on that!

We have handgun registering in MI but it costs nothing, the only thing I find t useful for being in law enforcement is getting model and serial # in case of theft.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne