Tough Day for Police

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Tough Day for Police

Post by greener » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 am

At Virginia Tech, policeman makes a traffic stop and is killed by someone walking up to him during the stop.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news ... r-1530181/

North of Richmond a State Trooper makes a traffic stop and ends up in a shootout with the guy he stopped.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news ... r-1530755/

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 am

And I was a;ways told the the South side of Chicago was the baddest part of town. In th 60's I used to go there on a business trip for my employer to do service work. Being a LEO in Virginia is a dangerous job, but bring aa LEO any place is.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:24 am

No kidding. I work a very rural area most times my backup is 15-20 minutes away....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Stay safe , my friend. It's not a good thing that so many LEOs have to work solo.

I can't imagine what was in the Tech shooter's head when he did this. I guess none of us will ever understand how those minds work.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 pm

The VTech officer apparently was in his car when shot. The shooter appears to have wandered off and was found dead killed by bullets from the same handgun.

The I95 incident is more involved. The civilian was stopped by the trooper while walking on I95. The news mentions a couple of car (theft?) incidents. The Trooper puts the guy in his car, a fight ensues, the trooper is shot with his gun during the struggle and shoots the civilian with his other gun. The civilian died at Mary Washington Hospital. The Trooper is recovering from a leg wound.

I would imagine that the police around here are a tad more nervous when making traffic stops. I think I'd be less likely to make any sudden and unexplained moves if stopped.