Possible Scam Artist - Beware

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

JeepinCalifornia

Possible Scam Artist - Beware

Post by JeepinCalifornia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Just a heads up from a fellow enthusiast...

Hi Gang - it's been a while! I still shoot but find much of my extra online time consumed in other forums, for other hobbies - backpacking, for example.

Anyway - as I was frequenting one those forums this morning, I came across a Thread warning members about stolen monies, gear, firearms, etc, from on online scam artist that seemed, at first, to be a good guy... It alarmed me ("us" at that forum) because a few days before that Thread was started, that guy's daughter posted a message to say that her father (the suggested scammer) had died due to health complications. That's sad, indeed...but, there are threads surfacing (more to come, as we keep digging) that suggest he had multiple online accounts over several different forums of different kinds (from shooting, to bushcraft, etc) with varying user names - and he's used those forums to collect money and goods from people without completing his end of the deal. . . He may or may not be alive and all this may or may not add up. It would behoove us to keep an eye out, just in case.

The "sad" thread that made us feel bad at first: One of us has passed away - Bushcraft USA Forums

The "Warning Thread" at the same forum: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43209

Another complaint elsewhere: Michael Taylor of Cleveland Ohio Stole from me and frequents this board - TheFiringLine Forums

And another, elsewhere: Air Gun Home :: View topic - WTS (Ohio) Crosman M1 Carbine VGC w/Mag RARE Dark Stock

Moderators, please feel free to move this to a sub-forum with higher traffic.

EDIT: a few folks have done some more digging - called the church and funeral home/cemetery where this man was supposedly buried and no one knows a thing.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't know anything about this guy being a scam artist but there's 25 pages of RIP's, since the forum announcement of this gent's death two days ago, some include pictures of him - that's got to account for something. The second link "Warning thread" doesn't come up and may have been deleted by a moderator over at that forum.

I do see past claims on other forums of problems with that screen name and business transactions dealing with firearms.

He's not a member here.

We should all be wary of "scam artists" when dealing with folks over the internet, especially in these times of economic distress for many in our country.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Apparently this other forum is now in a total uproar over that guy. http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43214

Sad that one would have such low scruples as to take advantage of other fellow human beings.

R,
Bullseye