I'm getting a bit discouraged.....

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

I'm getting a bit discouraged.....

Post by Gatmandu » Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Folks,

As I've stated previously, I'm new to this shooting sport. However, I do go to the range every week and practice. I listen to those more experienced than myself, try new things and attempt to learn.

Some days at the range I'm very happy....some days not so happy AND I DON'T KNOW WHY! :x Why don't things I thought I've learned always work :?:

Don
Last edited by Gatmandu on Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know nothing.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 am

First off you're going to have good and bad days, especially when you are just beginning. Secondly it is essential you establish a routine and slowly branch off of it along the way. Otherwise you are not really taking on new positive techniques you're simply moving hodge-podge and deferring back to old habits in your training. Find someone you can learn from and stick with them (a shooting mentor). It is very hard to jump around from person to person and do well. Everyone has different techniques to adapt to their style and physical make up, these may not translate well to your situation. Lastly, one must maintain patience. Patience is the key to a positive mental attitude and without that you cannot properly concentrate and perform well.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 am

What Bullseye said! A routine is very important starting with loading up everything needed to have a fun/safe range trip. I've forgotten to pack at some time or other the firearm I most wanted to shoot or the ammo for it :oops: Somedays the groups are just not there and I get out Henry and shoot for pure fun. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Bullseye & KAZ,

Thanks for your replies and advise. I guess I'll just keep "pluggin" away. :D

Don
I know nothing.......

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:43 am

In anything you do on a regular basis, you have good days and not so good days, right?

Some days I can only hit the side of a barn, other days I can hit the barn door. At my age with tri-focals, that's about it!......... :lol:

A million things change your shooting. Did you do heavy work with your hands the day before? Have a problem in the back of your mind? Put too much hot sauce on your breakfast eggs?...... :shock:

It all evens out in the end.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 pm

I do not shoot competition but there are days that I can not hit anything consistently. On those days I move the target in closer. And keep on plugging. With my aging eyes seeing the sight picture clearly is not going to happen and see the target too. My arms are a little too short for that to happen.

Just keep plugging away. The more you shoot the more up days you have vs down.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 09, 2011 6:14 pm

You have to look for the positive. Sometimes your overall score may dip but you shot really well at one position/string, always work from the positive. Build on what went right, not what isn't right. Also it is a good idea to keep a notebook/scorebook. Jot down notes about how you feel, what is working and what isn't, the conditions at the range, and the ammo you use. All these things can impact your overall performance. Keep a shooting diary.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Follow the great advice above and you will, eventually, shoot better. I'd add one more thing. Shooting is fun. Go out, relax and enjoy yourself. Don't push for one ragged hole. If you are pushing for tight groups, you could push the bullets all over the place. Surprising how relaxing while you shoot and enjoying it sometimes improves your groups.

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. :mrgreen: I guess I was expecting too much. It just bothers me when I leave the range and I feel I didn't learn anything. :(

Don

(ruger22.....It just might have been the hot sauce on the eggs :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
I know nothing.......

TH3180

Post by TH3180 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 pm

I have been shooting for a year now. I have read many books and spend many, many hours bouncing around the net trying to learn as much as I can. I have good days at the range and bad days. I have shot a few USPSA competitions and one steel shoot. Not being that good of a shot I figured by shooting these competitions I could accomplish a few things. I could stand back and watch the good shooters and try to see what they are doing that I am not, try to meet some people that are interested in shooting like and I am and just have fun no matter how I do. Last Thursday I had a guy walk up to me and ask me if he could give me some tips. I have seen him at other matches but haven’t really talked to him. I was all ears for learning something. He showed me some things I was doing wrong with my grip. He also explained to me why I should change my grip. I tried the tips on my next stage and found my two shot groups much closer together and my follow up shots came quicker. I got to thinking about it on my way home and I have dry fired in my basement countless times with putting an empty case on the slide, practiced holster draws and mag changes. I have never really thought about my grip. I just kind of grabbed the gun and let her rip. I have a week and a half until the next steel shoot. I am really going to work on my grip and see how much it helps my times.
What I am trying to say in my long winded way. I have done so much reading my eyes have almost popped out of my head. Five minutes at the safe table with an experienced shooter has helped me more than all that reading. If you can try and do some competitions do it. Let people there know you are new and trying to learn, It will pay off and heck if you don’t learn anything you will still have fun. I am actually kind of bored just target shooting at the range now.
"Ballons make evryone feel better" My son Tyler while getting a ballon for his baby sister when she was in the hospital

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 am

I have been shooting Bullseye for 3 1/2 years, and practice 2-5 times a week, and still consider myself somewhat of a beginner. I have learned a lot and progressed a lot since I started, but still feel I have a long way to go. So be patient, and don't forget the reason you started shooting in the first place, was to have fun. I also can get very angry at the range, and leave feeling I would have been better off not going at all. I really don't like when that happens, but as others have said, you will have bad days. If you start out shooting bad, don't give up, some of the best targets I have shot were on days I started out really bad. Like Bullseye said if you can find a mentor, that would be great, I don't have one, but am sure it would help. For me practicing a lot, and figuring things out as I go has worked pretty good. But I will say it took about 2 years to figure out the proper grip and stance for me. One of the shooters that belongs to the league I shoot in has a great website dedicated to Bullseye shooting,Bullseyepistol.com, if you have not already been there, check it out. So stay patient and try to remember shooting is fun.

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Tue May 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi 3180 & shooter,

Thanks for your comments. I can asssue everyone I will be taking all your inputs with me to the range this weekend. :D

Don
I know nothing.......

greener

Post by greener » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Gatmandu wrote:Hi 3180 & shooter,

Thanks for your comments. I can asssue everyone I will be taking all your inputs with me to the range this weekend. :D

Don
Take guns and targets, also.

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 pm

greener wrote: Take guns and targets, also.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don
I know nothing.......

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 11, 2011 8:29 am

Gatmandu wrote:
greener wrote: Take guns and targets, also.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don
As long as you have all that stuff, you might as well take a lot of ammo and then you will be able to use the other stuff, eh?????????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.