A quick suggestion

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A quick suggestion

Post by 99/100 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I recently detail stripped my 22/45 (not possible without the info in the Technical forum) and as I pulled the extractor "follower" and spring back I still couldn't get the extractor out. I stopped what I was doing (frustration doesn't yield good results) and my eyes came across my home made magnetic retrieval tool(small rare earth magnet super glued to an old antenna) I pulled back as instructed and then used the magnet to pull up the extractor. Don't know if it's worth adding into the instructions but it made it possible for me. As always THANK YOU for all the great info here.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm

I believe that anything that solves a problem or simplifies a process is of interest. Great solution 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I've got one of those magnets around here somewhere. I'll give it a try.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:54 am

If you need a super strong magnet, get one out of an old Hard Drive. Just becarful not to get your fingers pinched between the 2 plates that hold them. Most HD require a small torq bit to get them apart. The disk make good targets, too. Once you get through yo do not need to worry about someone stealing the data on the disk.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:40 pm

I stock cheap rare earth magnets that I order from Amazon whenever I need to spend more $$ to get free shipping.

I've got at least three sizes around, they come in handy more than you might think, I've even put a small one in a plastic tube attached to a smaller tube and telescoped it out to grab small things in a tight steel housing.

They work for pulling the worthless LCI's pin out of a mkIII, too.

For getting out the extractor from a mk__ or 10/22 I always needed a third hand, I would pull the plunger back with a right-angle scribe while holding the bolt and MrsBFD would pull and replace the claw ... I bet clamping the bolt and using a magnet for that awkward angle would be an improvement, particularly if you had the new extractor claw loaded up on a second magnet ...
pull one out
set it down
pick up and install the new one
release tension on the plunger

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I had it clamped in padded copper jaws in my vice. (After I realized it was pretty much impossible without a third hand) The magnet came out of an old laptop drive.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:52 pm

I forgot to mention "good thinking!" in my above post.

Sometimes the design of machine components isn't set up for end-user repair, I think a lot of the internals of a Ruger rimfire pistol were intended to bear a "contains no user-serviceable parts" placard ... due to skilled assembly with jigs and specialized clamps.

There are some assemblies I would have never tackled without help from DR Bullseye and user reports like yours, 99/100

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:54 am

I just use a plain old pair of parallel "duck billed" pliers. Typical extractor replacement runs me between 30 seconds to a few minutes. I never needed to clamp the bolt. I just pin it down on the workbench with one hand and replace the extractor claw with the other.

A surgical hemostat clamp works well too for gripping the small parts like the extractor.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 am

Bullseye wrote:A surgical hemostat clamp works well too for gripping the small parts like the extractor.
It surely helps me with my sausage fingers and no useful fingernails!

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 am

bigfatdave wrote:
Bullseye wrote:A surgical hemostat clamp works well too for gripping the small parts like the extractor.
It surely helps me with my sausage fingers and no useful fingernails!
My friends at work used to call me "Jap hands", as I was the only one who could fit his hands into the crevices of newer cars. :(