One a week?

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

One a week?

Post by greener » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am

ATF just published an emergency rule requiring reporting of any sales of more than one semiautomatic rifle greater than .22 caliber with detachable magazine within a 5 day period.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-31761.pdf

The FR notice didn't really say why, but I suppose this is in response to the number of semiauto's bought in Texas and Arizona supposedly ending up in Mexico, but it is not limited by any geography. I find it hard to believe they are going to catch many criminals this way. Maybe looking at high volume (>50?) purchases by non-dealers, but one on Monday and one of Friday is something worth tracking, where one on Monday and one on Saturday isn't? After Jan 5 if you find a really good deal on an AR and an AK and buy them the same day, you could end up in another ATF database.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Here's a link that tells about our guns getting into Mexico. Another back door trick by our government. Inflated numbers as usual. :x

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04 ... xico-come/

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 am

I believe it was Goebbels who said "tell a big lie and keep repeating it til it's the truth"

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 am

Just another version of "What we can't legislate, we'll administrate!" Executive Order powers are often abused and this is just another example of the "Nanny State" setting regulations upon us for our own good. Folks have been warning about the conditions on the relatively open border with Mexico for many years but the administrations have done little or nothing to change it. Now it's a "crisis" and the government thinks it must take drastic action to prevent further violence and protect us from their negligence. This is how liberty slips away - one small piece at a time.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 am

I'll be buying rifles in pairs from here on out, and I might do the same with handguns just to flood their system with worthless paperwork.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 am

bigfatdave wrote:I'll be buying rifles in pairs from here on out, and I might do the same with handguns just to flood their system with worthless paperwork.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ! ! ! ! ......... Can we help you make up the shopping list?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Went to the LGS with my BIL to get his Christmas present (45 ammo) while we were looking around we heard a salesman tell a guy the "system" was down so they couldn't complete any sales at that time. Frequent outages would be one way to deter gun buyers

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:53 pm

ruger22 wrote:Can we help you make up the shopping list?
The BATFEIEIO made it for me, "magazine-fed rifles of larger than .22 caliber"
Maybe I'll just buy a pair of Hi-Point carbines to tinker with and sell them off if I happen to get bored with them, or expand my Kel-Tec (RFB + SU-16?) collection, or start picking up discontinued Pistol Caliber Carbines (Marlin camp 9/45, Ruger whateverthehellitis)
... got any other lower-budget ideas?
99/100 wrote:Went to the LGS with my BIL to get hsi Christmas present (45 ammo) while we were looking around we heard a salesman tell a guy the "system" was down so they couldn't complete any sales at that time. Frequent outages would be one way to deter gun buyers
Yes, a good way to drive everyone to private sales. The system being down does not hamper my buying of firearms most of the time, the system being up is just another infringement anyway, I feel sorry for the dealers saddled with "the system", honestly.