Mark II.org is no longer

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Mark II.org is no longer

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:59 pm

It is with much regret that I must announce that the domain name for MarkII.org has been lost to another registrant. Rook wrote to me this morning and explained what happened. He tried to reregister the domain but his domain host went under which prevented his reregistering until it expired. Somebody else got to it first and now he no longer has the rights to the Mark II.org domain name. He is going to reopen the forum again under a new name, one yet to be determined, but I thought you should know what happend to the old one.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Mark II.org is no longer

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Bullseye wrote:It is with much regret that I must announce that the domain name for MarkII.org has been lost to another registrant. Rook wrote to me this morning and explained what happened. He tried to reregister the domain but his domain host went under which prevented his reregistering until it expired. Somebody else got to it first and now he no longer has the rights to the Mark II.org domain name. He is going to reopen the forum again under a new name, one yet to be determined, but I thought you should know what happend to the old one.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks for theheads ullseye, hate to see it go but as long a it comes back, who cares what the domain name is.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Rook asked me for some suggestions for a new domain name; I gave him a few. If anyone else has any ideas, I'll pass them on to him. I also reminded him that we have a forum going here, and since he's registered, he shouldn't be a stranger.

R,
Bullseye

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Bullseye, way to scare them with the topic title. :shock: :lol:

The host is still running, all the data and forum still exist. You can peak around at things on the server by going here: http://ascension.globat.com/~markii.org/ The hosting is paid for another year at least.

The reason the forum has been so long delayed in returning is mainly due to the hack. I've been reluctant to reopen it and allow more havoc to take place. Likewise, with my limited time, I've been trying to update the forum to the latest version. It has proven to be more than a small problem. Bullseye has even tried doing it himself, but problems have risen. Errors keep popping up when running the conversion files resulting in a useless forum database. I'm currently enlisting the help of Invision in remedying this issue.

Worse comes to worse, we could close the current forum and 'archive' it. This means it will still exist, but all accounts will be closed and you can just browse/search it. We then open up a new forum and go from there.

I think I've decided on a new domain, but I'll make my final decision tommorrow.

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:01 pm

Bullseye,
What are the chances that you and Rook can get together, combine membership lists, and come up with one site?
This one seems to humming along now without any problem and it seems a shame to lose it or split it up now that it is established as the best Ruger site going. The troubleshooting/graphics pages that you have put up are priceless and more and more people are finding this site every day.
Will you keep this site up if Rook gets going again?

R,Jack

bearandoldman

forum

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:12 pm

Bullseye and Rook, whatever you 2 youngster thinki best, do it. Sure ould like to see the old furm bck again, it has been some time without it and it ia missed. I think youu should keep bth of them up and running just in case problems occcr agian, like they did a year ago when the site was first hacked.

Len aka better know as bearandoldman of he moderating team of the old MarkII forum
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 pm

RooK wrote:Bullseye, way to scare them with the topic title. :shock: :lol:
Rook - Well, I could have chosen a little better title but I'm getting everybody's attention - even got yours! :D Can you say, "Yellow Journalism!"

Boomer - Yes this site/forum will run even when the new Mark ?? forum comes back up. I think it's best to always have a fall-back in the event of a failure. I plan on keeping the troubleshooting and help pages up and running. I figure the new forum can link back to them. I never wanted this forum to compete with MarkII.org so I did not promote Guntalk, like I have since MarkII went offline. Promotion was one reason why I put the extra time into creating those help pages. My forum's membership numbers pale compared to MarkII.org's.

R,
Bullseye

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:54 pm

Combining members lists between the two forums won't work. Invision and phpBB are completely different and incompatible. MarkII.org will be ressurected in some fashion, although I plan on streamlining things. I also had some little gun projects that I think will put in their own forum along with those of others.

Either way, expect to see the site back up with a domain by Monday. A forum, in some shape or form, will be up and running by Friday. If IPB can help me in fixing the forum, fine. If not, a new one will be made and the old one archived. Also, new images and layout are in store. Unfortunately, your accounts on the new forum will not exist, so you'll have to sign up again.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:01 pm

I knew that. These two bulletin board formats are totally different. We'll just throw up an announcement page when the new forum comes up and link to the new URL.

R,
Bullseye

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:21 am

I figured you did, I was just letting boomer know. :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:39 am

RooK wrote:I figured you did, I was just letting boomer know. :)
I'm sorry Rook, when I reread my post it sounded sarcastic. I did not mean it that way. :oops: My sincerest apologies if you saw it that way too.

R,
Bullseye

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:22 pm

The new domain has been registered (sorry Bullseye, got your email too late), and I'm busy working on some stuff. I'll post about it later though when there is something to show.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:50 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new domain and forum when the page is up.

Don't worry about that other domain. Upon further research it appears that an Australian company is holding the Mark II.org registration name hostage. BTW, where did the owner of your last DNS registrar company go after he went defunct in the US: you guessed it - Australia. He's attempting to resell the name and make a tidy little profit, which was why he had a "client do not transfer" tagged onto the name. Judging from all the negative comments about that web hosting company and its nefarious owner - good riddance!

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Mark II.org is no longer

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:49 am

Bullseye wrote:He is going to reopen the forum under a new name,
one yet to be determined.
I'm too late with my suggestion, but can't help mentioning it...
http://www.Mark11.org/

it seems that the digits "11" are typed many times,
instead of Roman-Numerals anyway...

Remander

Post by Remander » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:30 am

Be sure and keep us posted on this thread.

I look forward to seeing the Ruger .22 pistol-specific site (whatever the new name) up and running again.