Ya Know it's HOT in Texas...

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:25 am

My question is WHY? Is the homeowner afraid his house is going to spontaneously combust? :D

That picture reminds me of a joke, the punchline went - green side up!

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:45 am

Bullseye wrote:My question is WHY? Is the homeowner afraid his house is going to spontaneously combust? :D

That picture reminds me of a joke, the punchline went - green side up!

R,
Bullseye
Old Polish sod installers instrutions, water on the roof may help cut down hear transmission.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Waffen

Post by Waffen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:53 am

I wonder if that would really work? I've been thinking of having that "aluminum spray" installed in my attic/ceiling/insulation to cut down on my power bill ($400 a month in a 1500 sqft house :shock: )

I might just try it. Not like I can look any less silly than I already do to the neighbors.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:06 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Old Polish sod installers instrutions, water on the roof may help cut down hear transmission.
I knew you would know the origin of that joke, Len. :D It maybe a skillful use of evaporation, but it looks more to me like a Redneck Swamp Cooler! :shock:

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:46 am

The owner of that house would do much better to get rid of those turbine vents and install some ridge cap venting, if they have adequate soffit ventilation. Convection would draw the heat right up and out of the house keeping the attic/crawlspace much cooler. Another possiblilty is adding power vent fans to draw more airflow through the attic.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:09 pm

Waffen wrote:I wonder if that would really work? I've been thinking of having that "aluminum spray" installed in my attic/ceiling/insulation to cut down on my power bill ($400 a month in a 1500 sqft house :shock: )

I might just try it. Not like I can look any less silly than I already do to the neighbors.
A power ventilator in the attic may help also by increasing the air flow.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:16 pm

Bullseye wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
I knew you would know the origin of that joke, Len. :D It maybe a skillful use of evaporation, but it looks more to me like a Redneck Swamp Cooler! :shock:

R,
Bullseye
You know in the drier climates in some of he high contry westrn staes they use misters, by sprying a mist in the dry air it causes it to evaporate and help cool the air. A swaamp cooler will work in the dry air. I can remember the old car coolers n the 50's before the advent of the AC units in cars becoming more available. Run the air through a damp clothe ndn pull the latent heat out by evaporaing the water.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:47 pm

I did a little research and also found this sprinkler technique is effective for cooling down the roofs of cattle barns and chicken coops. So I guess there's something to it.

R,
Bullseye