Woman Kills Son, Self at Gun Range

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:21 am

CASSELBERRY, Fla. (April 7) - A Florida woman fatally shot her son and then turned the gun on herself at a central Florida gun range, authorities said.

Marie Moore, 44, of Altamonte Springs and her 20-year-old son, Mitchell, were sharing a firing lane at the Shoot Straight range Sunday, Casselberry police said. Shooters in an adjacent lane said the mother and son seemed to be getting along fine. A security video shows Moore walk up behind her son, point a revolver at the back of his head and fire a single shot, police said. She then put the gun in her mouth and pulled the trigger.The son died at the scene, and the mother died later at the hospital. Family members told police that Moore had a history of mental illness.

The gun was rented from the shooting range.

For actual video clip of the shooting taken by the indoor range security camera, see:
http://www.myfox8.com/orl-wn-shooting-s ... ldnowvideo

http://news.aol.com/article/gun-range-m ... in|htmlws-
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 am

I read about this one this morning. There seems to be a lot of desperate folks who are taking the 'self exit' route lately as these difficult financial times play out. I only hope that the rest of us will not suffer as the GC advocates attempt to use these incidents to push for further restrictions on gun rights.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:21 am

Very sad, how traumatic for all concerned. I will admit that I keep an eye on what is going on around me at the range. Like most I shoot mostly with those that I know really well. New shooters are welcomed which if done right also masks the fact that safety concerns are being evaluated. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Most commercial ranges started a two-person firearm rental policy to deter suicide attempts. However, if one person is intent on doing in their partner before taking their own life, there's really not much that can be done to prevent that kind of situation short of ceasing rentals.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 pm

KAZ wrote:Very sad, how traumatic for all concerned. I will admit that I keep an eye on what is going on around me at the range. Like most I shoot mostly with those that I know really well. New shooters are welcomed which if done right also masks the fact that safety concerns are being evaluated. Regards
Luckily the range I use is not busy during the day, Bear and I are usually pretty much the only ones there. We keep an eye on anyone we have not shot with before as some on them have less gun handling skills than Bear, and he does not have fingers. just toes. Come to think of some of the people that I have seen there look like they are all toes too. We usually watch people we have not been with before and if we do not care for their skill, we can come back another day. Nice to have a range less than 8 miles from home and about 4 miles from our favorite gun shop,
Took HenryI and gave him a couple of boxes of ammo and he shoots pretty good, the HiViz front sight works good pretty much on at 25 feet and 25 yards. The old mans iron sight skills at 25 yard leave a little bit to be desired but did manage 10 shots in a 4 inch circle and that's good enough for this old man. Our goals are less than younger guys and therefore easier to achieve.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm with you on watching the other folks at the range, Len.

I've been around long enough that I shouldn't be shocked at stuff like this, but I am every time.

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:19 pm

I have shot at this range.. It is small and confined and POORLY SUPERVISED.
I long ago quit going there as it was not uncommon for someone to turn around with a loaded gun.
I found a nice outdoor range that has a range safety officer on duty at all times and all members are required to be NRA members. (Not that that is a guarantee, but it helps)
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!