"Read it and Weep"

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

"Read it and Weep"

Post by Hakaman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm

This use to be one of my old stomping grounds, and I live just 7miles north of this location now.

Senior Citizen Attacked By Teens
Two 18-Year-Old Men To Be Arraigned Today

POSTED: Friday, April 3, 2009
UPDATED: 3:23 pm EDT April 3, 2009
AP
More
MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. -- Two Hazel Park teens will be arraigned today after police say they beat and robbed a 69-year-old man in Madison Heights.

Police said the man had been on a SMART bus, which the teens were also riding. The young men, both 18, followed him when he got off the bus at John R Street, just south of 12 Mile Road, about 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, according to officials.

"Robberies like this are kind of rare for us," said Madison Heights police Lt. Bob Anderson. "It was so brazen and took place in the middle of a side street in full view of people on John R."

"The two suspects were walking down the street in front of the victim and then slowed down until the victim caught up with them," Anderson said. "They asked him if he had a gun. After he said he didn't, they attacked him."

Police said the robbery happened on Parker Avenue, a side street off of John R.

One of the two teens got behind the man and pulled him down to the ground, police said.

"They held him down and beat him," Anderson said. "They repeatedly punched him in the head and rifled his pockets."

The teens took more than $100 cash from the man, according to Anderson.

Officials said a couple coming out of a nearby business on John R heard somebody scream, saw the teens beating the senior citizen and called police on a cell phone.

The young men ran into a residential area and an officer on patrol stopped them about six blocks away from the robbery scene, Anderson said.

The older man was taken by police to look at the suspects and identified them as his assailants, police said.

The man suffered several minor cuts on his face, but refused medical attention.

Police are asking prosecutors to charge the pair with strong-arm robbery, a 15-year felony. The arraignment will be held in the Madison Heights 43rd District Court.

Copyright 2009 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Damn, and that is at least 5 miles north of 8 Mile, there moving in on you Hakaman. Had that happened to me I would most likely have gone to jail for lying and littering. When they asked if I had a gun I would have tole them no, which really is not a total lie as I normally carry two, and then they would have got me for leaving trash laying in the streets. :x :x
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:53 am

And maybe a marksmanship medal.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 am

greener wrote:And maybe a marksmanship medal.
Did not know there was category for that type of shooting. How's things at the landfill???

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 am

How's things at the landfill???
I know those teens are trash, and that's where they belong, in a trash dump. The sad part of the story is that the teens weren't satisfied with just taking the money, they had to beat the tar out of him as well. Here is a classic situation where carrying a gun would have saved the beating. Do you think the media would encourage gun carry based on this story? No way.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! - Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Did not know there was category for that type of shooting. How's things at the landfill???
Wonderful. Sun was out and I could see Mt. Rainier for the first time. Lots of big blacktail deer with absolutely no fear of people around us.

Hak, if more people carried, maybe, just maybe, young criminals like that would be more reluctant to attack someone. They almost never go after anyone who looks like they could fight back.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:17 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
Wonderful. Sun was out and I could see Mt. Rainier for the first time. Lots of big blacktail deer with absolutely no fear of people around us.

Hak, if more people carried, maybe, just maybe, young criminals like that would be more reluctant to attack someone. They almost never go after anyone who looks like they could fight back.
Well of course, if the odds are not heavily weighted in your favor you could lose. Two young guys to an old guys make the odds better, 2 Young guys to BOM with gun, young guys may never get old.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Hakaman wrote:
How's things at the landfill???
I know those teens are trash, and that's where they belong, in a trash dump. The sad part of the story is that the teens weren't satisfied with just taking the money, they had to beat the tar out of him as well. Here is a classic situation where carrying a gun would have saved the beating. Do you think the media would encourage gun carry based on this story? No way.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! - Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Thanks for this quotation, Hak.

I'm borrowing it and posting it in other gunboards AND non-gunboards I visit.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:01 am

Get ready guys!! I heard Nancy Pelosi in a TV interview say that they are looking at having the Supreme Court look at the definition of the 2nd amendment again as well as the DC gun ban that was overturned since there is now a new administration. I didn't think that this could come up again but found out that it actually can.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 am

My only comment on this sad event is to say that the older I get the less advisable it would be for someone to attack me. I don't heal/recover to fast anymore.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 am

I feel the same way Kaz. I am getting too old and achy to fight and much too old to run. BG beware!!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:52 am

I'm too old to run or fight without being severely damaged and too damn old and crotchety to just give up. That means that as I am in fear of death or great bodily harm, I have a right to stop the threat. OK, so the bad guys will never get to be my age, it' their choice to make.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 am

Thats reason I wrote CANCEL on my AARP membership! For some reason they see responsible firearm ownership as something bad for their membership. Same old same old BS that the BGs will also not be armed. :(

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 am

KAZ wrote:Thats reason I wrote CANCEL on my AARP membership! For some reason they see responsible firearm ownership as something bad for their membership. Same old same old BS that the BGs will also not be armed. :(
Did that many years ago, no way am I gong to give them money to try to take my firearms from me. Might just as well poke myself in the face with a sharp stick. The only good part about that is it really feels good when it stops hurting. sunny and 37F, still got a ways to go yet.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am

60 F ysdy afternoon, had our first April shower.

55 F right now, and it's gonna be sunny again in the sunny Republik of Kalifornee-ay...

And I read in another gunboard that our great politicians led by Pelosi-somebody wants the Supreme Court to take a long, hard look at the 2nd Amendment. Shouldn't we put a hex on her or sumpin'?... Anybody fm the bayous of Louisiana?... :twisted: :evil:

Or better, sic old Bear on her, Len?...
Last edited by jaeger45 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate