Which assault rifle to purchase

The place to discuss items of a general nature or items that do not fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

markIIIronp

Which assault rifle to purchase

Post by markIIIronp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Like half of America, following this election, I have decided I need an Assault Rifle and plenty of ammo. I don’t know much about assault rifles and I am a retiree on a somewhat limited income. What is the BEST gun that I can get for my money? I would also like to shoot the gun enough to become proficient with it. I know that .223 ammo is going up in price. Would I be better off with an AK-47 in 7.62 ammo or is an AR-15 in a .223 cal. a much better gun? Can surplus AK-47 ammo be had cheaply? Also can an AK-47 be easily converted to full auto?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 pm

If you are concerned about the price of ammo the last thing you need is a full auto weapon.

That said you need to check the laws in the state you live in to see if you can legally own a FA. If you can then the tax stamp will cost you a one time fee of $200 When you sell the weapon the person you sell it to will have to fill out paper work and pay a $200 fee.

Because of the law no more weapons can be manufactured for sale to civilians so there are only the weapons in the system, this has made the existing Full Auto prices to skyrocket.

As an example in 1982 I legally purchased a 9mm Sten machine gun for $350 I sold it in April of this year for $4,600 A 45ACP Thompson average price today is in the neighborhood of $30,000

DON'T do anything that is illegal or you can get free room and board in the gray bar hotel......... :shock:
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Which assault rifle to purchase

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 pm

markIIIronp wrote:I don’t know much about (assault) rifles and
I am a retiree on a somewhat limited income.
just my $0.22 worth... for your consideration.
to me, an 'assault' rifle is issued to Armed-Forces.
Civilians can get a variety of firearms with black plastic/metal
and grips and sights... but are just common Semi-Auto actions.

1. the bullet doesn't know what kind of gun it came out of...
see if you can find a Kel-Tec Sub-2000
(they come in 9mm and .40 caliber, accommodating a
variety of available "magazines"... )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_SUB-2000
http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_Sub2000.htm

2. the Ruger 'ranch rifle' will handle the .223 rounds
and the 30-cal model uses the "AK round", 7.62x39mm
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/firearms/ ... &famlst=20

3. you're not alone... I've been reading-up on
the Stag Arms Model-1 (NATO 5.56 )
http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=205

their Model-5 uses NATO-6.8mm

be sure you understand the slightly different
ammo-vs-chambering for the
NATO-5.56x45mm ammo -versus- .223 Remington SAAMI
& NATO-7.62x51mm ammo -versus- .308 Winchester SAAMI
they are the "same", except different!!
this may not be the "best" article, just one that Google found for me.
http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html
http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcemen ... storyid=11

good luck... -toy
Last edited by toyfj40 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

markIIIronp

Post by markIIIronp » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info. I would not want to break any laws as long as we have a lawful society.
If you could own one good assault rifle, what would be the brand and caliber? :)

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:23 pm

I like the AR15 in 223 caliber. The new Remingtons are really nice.
- Kwai Chang Caine -

markIIIronp

Post by markIIIronp » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Looked at an Olympic Arms AR-15 today. They were asking $849 for it. My buddy said that he had looked at the same rifle two months ago and it was something like $649. The new gun shop in town will be getting in DPMS AR-15's next week. Does anyone know how good the quality is on these two brands?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:36 am

DPMS are good quality rifles. I know 3 or 4 people that shoot them a lot.
A lot of competitors use them at Camp Perry every year.
- Kwai Chang Caine -

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am

markIIIronp, below is my DPMS (lower only) AR in 223. Shoots very well and it's been reliable, so far. I don't like AK47s cause I value accuracy most of all but they can serve their purpose quite well, especially if one knows how to bumpfire them.

But to help me understand your purpose of purchase a bit better, why are you looking for an "assault rifle"? Any high power hunting rifle will do well, long distance, and there's nothing better than a 12 gauge for close quarter protection. My intent is not to be antagonistic but are you expecting a revolution of sort, or better yet a dictatorship, because of Obama's election? If so an assault rifle can very rarely get the better of a Blackhawk or an Apache. Just trying to appreciate your thinking.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 am

Well that lightning bolt logo looks familiar - Is it the "Wonderboy" bat from the movie The Natural?

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:44 pm

I sold my 223(5.56mm) ARs and recommend the AR 10 or the DPMS 308,Springfield Armory M1A in 308 Win(7.62 Nato) for an individual. We are not a member of a squad so spraying ammo isn't good. Get one of the flat top versions so that you can stick an optic on it. I can quickly engage targets from here to 300 yards with an Aimpoint red dot, or hunt deer sized game,target shoot with a nice scope in place. Buy your ammo on sale and acquire some reloading equipment and practice precision shooting. I have owned (legal) Mac 10 9mm and other Select fire weapons and have come to the decision that for the well organized family a good 12 ga for close defense, and a larger caliber(308/7.62) for keeping things as far away as possible would have it's advantages. When things became tough in the sandbox our Armed Forces brought forgotten 7.62mm M14s (M1A + civilian version)out of storage to prove my point. Regards

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:49 pm

That lightning bolt logo was part of the leather bra I designed to keep the butt stock from getting too cold or too hot depending on the weather. My wife put it together for me and it works well, not to mention that it makes my AR look different from any run of the mill black gun out there. Some would call it pimping it up but I like it, and it sure enough is utilitarian.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:51 pm

It definitely has "Bling"!

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Let's keep the anti-gun lobby happy. Go for the .50 caliber Bullet-Sprayer Deluxe, with the 200 round magazines (at least ten of those, with the belt holder), and optional bipod, of course.

( A little humor here. THIS is what I imagine all the anti-gun loonies think we psycho gun-huggers drool for.)

ruger22com

"assult"

Post by ruger22com » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:20 am

well, Nobody really knows what an "assult" weapon it. It is a term used by the gun lobby to try and get rid of any rifle that looks military in nature. which is a real crock.
anyway.....
If you want to get an AR-15 I would recommend the Stag brand. I have one and love it AND the stag comes in both right hand AND LEFT HAND MODELS!
I put up a site a couple years ago that might help you decide..it is http://ar15fun.com and shows how to do a basic breakdown on an ar15, and what the various buttons and such are for (using a stag left handed model as an example)
On the other hand, you can buy an AK47 (most are built by century imports from parts both imported and us made) for about half the price. The AK is famous for being dragged through mud, tossed in a river, then banged against a tree and the firing without any problems. an amazing design.
ak ammo (7.62) is still a little cheaper, but .223 ammo for the ar15 is getting easier to find since the obama scare has cooled down a bit.

As for full auto, assuming you are in the U.S. it will cost you $200 for a tax stamp plus a background check. but just a sear for an ar15 to make it full auto (not the rifle itself) can run $20,000. about the cheapest full autos are little mac 10s that fire VERY FAST for around $4000.