Safety Concern for Ruger Mark III

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

carnush

Safety Concern for Ruger Mark III

Post by carnush » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:23 am

I am new to this site. Thanks to the creator(s) who have done a great job!

I am concerned about a safety issue.

I am a new owner of a Mark III Hunter and had a great time this weekend putting it through its first paces. It worked amazingly well (though it does not seem to love some Remington ammo). I'll be shooting this pistol for a long time.

I took it home and field stripped it for the first time for cleaning. Re-assembly was challenging, but it appeared I got it right. Really have to follow those instructions to the letter! Just to be sure I broke it down and reassembled it twice more. I think I go it right.

I thought I'd run 3 .22 snap caps through it to make sure I got it right. After loading the magazine, then the gun, then chambering a round, I pulled the trigger, the firing pin struck, but the cap was not ejected. I have only had the gun for a week and only ran some snap caps though it once, but I thought they ejected. Did I miss something in the last few steps of re-assembly? Or is it the blowback that can only come from a live round that causes the ejection of the shell?

Is the Extractor (Key No. 25/Part No. KA02200) supposed to stick straight out the end of the Bolt (Key No. 17/Part No. KA0211) or is it supposed to angle in towards the bore? Mine is angling in. Could this cause my problem?

I don't want to take it out and fire it until I know all's OK.

Thanks-
Carl

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:50 am

Carl,

I've answered your questions in the Rimfire Handguns forum.

R,
Bullseye