Ultra Dot Sight?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ultra Dot Sight?

Post by OpsMgr » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Would appreciate any comments or related experience with the Ultra Dot brand dot sight - Thanks in advance for any replies and here is a link to the one I'm considering: http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_004.htm
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:05 am

Best there is as far as I'm concerned. Good service from Larry, if you ever need it. If you shoot targets, you don't need gimmicks, just use the Ultradot. On a 22 target the 1" model is all you need.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks Hardball for the info. I have an El Cheapo BSA 30mm dot sight and it performs well enough for its cost, so the 1" was not really considered for that reason. I am curious about choosing the 1" over the 30mm model - Can't be price as there is little difference between the two. Is there something I'm not considering? I am not new to shooting but am new to dot sights so advice from the more experienced is greatly appreciated.
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:44 am

I use the 1" regular Ultradot or the 4 dot 1" even on 45 auto target gun. I want the sight line as low as possible to the bore line. I prefer the lighter weight and less top heavy distribution. I don't think the 30mm "window" is that much bigger for the added bulk. I also believe the small window requires more attention to the fundamentals to shoot well. And that is a good thing. This is speaking from a pure target point of view.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Excellent points and thanks for the insight - Had not considered that. I shoot more paper than anything and have always liked the bore and sight line as close as possible on my rifles so the same would follow on pistols. The weight reduction is also critical, IMO. 1" Ultra Dot it is! Thanks again.
- Thomas Jefferson

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 am

There's not that much difference between the 1" and a 30mm scope tube. One inch is 25.4mm and that only 4mm difference in diameter. Four millimeters is just over 1/8th of an inch. Both models have the same overall tube length.

The weight difference between these two scopes is just .2 of a ounce, which isn't much different either.

I have a UD30 and it sits slide mounted on a 1911. It works just fine for bullseye shooting. The bottom line is an Ultra Dot scope is a fine product no matter which model you choose.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Ultra Dot

Post by stork » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 pm

I agree with Hardball and Bullseye. I have 6 1" UD's on a variety of 22's and slide mounted 45's.

I chose the 1" for several reasons.
1. It forces me to pay closer attention to the fundamentals.
2. I had a 30mm Tasco when I started shooting Bullseye and found my attention wandering from the dot.
3. I despise the cheap rings that UD sends with the dot. I highly recommend they be discarded and a set of low Weaver rings installed. They will allow you to remove the dot for cleaning, then reinstall with no loss of zero.

You won't regret your choice.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reply stork. I placed my order with UD West earlier today and decided after much (Too much) consideration to go with the UD30 model. Have some other pistols and may purchase a UD25 for one of them as I hate swapping glass from one to the other. I agree with you about the rings that come with the UD - Never cared for split style rings at all. Weaver style are the only way to go, IMO. Really looking forward to the UD arriving...
- Thomas Jefferson

Davexx1

Post by Davexx1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I have an UltraDot 30mm 4moa red dot on a Contender 7x30 and have deer hunted with this combination for about 5 or 6 years. During those deer hunting seasons I have taken some nice bucks out to about 130 yards and am pleased with the UltraDot sight. The tiny red dot is deadly in most deer hunting situations and light conditions. I used the stock rings that came with the sight and have never had a problem.

I am also thinking of a new 22 autoloader handgun with a red dot mounted on it. I have a 77 vintage Browning Challenger but it is not drilled/tapped for mounts.

Dave