VQ Sear and Marval Trigger ?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Decado

VQ Sear and Marval Trigger ?

Post by Decado » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:21 am

I got my VQ sear in the mail yesterday from Rimfire sports and Custom. So I broke the pistol down, and removed the factory sear and installed the VQ.

Before putting the upper back on, I checked to see if the hammer would release when the trigger is pulled.

It did, so I threw the upper back on, once I got the upper back on, pulled the bolt back and pulled the trigger.....

Nothing happens, the trigger goes back but the hammer will not fall. My pistol is a MKIII Stainless Target model.

I removed the mag safety and installed the MKII bushing , it also has a Marval trigger in it, other than that, the pistol is stock.

The Marval trigger works well with the factory sear, but, its not working at all with the VQ.

At first, I thought it was me, but I am very familiar with the MK platform, in fact, I put the same sear in my MKII 22/45 with no problem, although, it has the factory trigger in it.

This leads me to think that its the trigger and not the sear, or, is it becasue I did not use the spring included with the sear, I left the factory spring in as I did when I dropped the sear into my 22/45.

I really like the Marval trigger and want to keep it in, but as of now, I have a useless VQ sear :( .

Do I need to do anything particular to get the Marval and VQ sear to work together?

Decado

Post by Decado » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:53 am

Disconnector is not popping up to engage the sear. (This can be seen when looking at it with the receiver off and main spring housing in, but when testing the trigger this way make sure to catch the hammer and not let it hit the frame) The disconnector should move freely, and not be gritty at all. It is supposed to rise up under spring tension by the trigger spring.

I found that on another forum, could that be the problem?

Decado

Post by Decado » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:57 am

If you can hold the pistol upside down and the disconnector drops to engage the sear properly, then you likely left out the trigger spring, or need a new one (this is what pushes the disconnector up into the sear).

Or this maybe? When he says "trigger spring", does he mean the plunger spring?

The Marval came with its own spring, I wonder if I try the Marval with the factory plunger spring, would that solve the issue?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:19 am

Posting responses pasted from other forums - in your own screen name (without citing them or placing them in quotes) is a little confusing to follow.

The Marvel trigger works well with the VQ sear set-up and a Mark II hammer bushing. Perhaps you've left something out. Go back and retrace your steps. Check the detailed stripping page and go over the steps again. It is easy to forget something, happens to me sometimes too. IF that doesn't do it then check the pretravel screw in the marvel trigger and ensure it isn't out too far.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Decado

Post by Decado » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Sorry for the confusion. It turned out it was the plunger spring, when I had this trigger in my 22/45, it gave me the same problem, I forgot that I could not use that spring for whatever reason.

I put the factory plunger spring in and now the hammer drops fine. Thanks for responding Bullseye :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 am

Great to hear that you've solved the problem. A weak or shortened plunger spring would cause the very symptoms you described. Every now and then a trigger comes out with the plunger hole drilled a little too deeply and the same symptoms will occur- an inability to reset the disconnector consistently.

Enjoy your new set up.

R,
Bullseye