MKIII Disassembly Problem I haven't seen before

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

MKIII Disassembly Problem I haven't seen before

Post by greener » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 am

A shooting acquaintance had told me that his new 5.5" Hunter was very difficult to field strip and asked me for some help. Going through it, I couldn't get the bolt stop pin out of the pistol, it had to be forced out. I couldn't get it back in until I removed the receiver from the grip frame and reinstalled it using the bolt stop pin from the top to line up the holes. Apparently the pistol had been put together at the factory with the bolt stop pin holes slightly out of alignment.

He had field stripped it as far as removing the bolt once and got the mainspring in by absolute brute force. As soon as the holes were lined up, it worked normally. He wasn't thrilled with his Ruger because it was almost impossible to field strip.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 am

Lately this is the way they've been coming from the factory. Even Ruger has added a note to their disassembly procedures to use a dowel rod and mallet to tap out a stubborn bolt stop pin.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:24 am

The most common complaint about Rugers is that they are hard to disassemble. You would think Ruger wouldn't go about making it harder.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:03 am

I have heard complaints in the past of the receiver being loose on the frame, now they tighten it up and they still don't like it. A lot of people are afraid to use a little force on a pistol, they are plastic, aluminum and steel not fine china or crystal. Remember a gun is just at tool that sends the bullet to th target. Never use force by sewingign very hard, just go get a bigger hammer and if that does not work get a bigger hammer swinger also.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:52 am

My two stainless Ruger receivers are tight fits on the grip frame and require a bit of tapping to align the bolt stop pin holes. My 22/45 is relatively loose. I had just never seen the bolt stop pin in so tight you had to beat it out wth a drift. Once the holes were properly aligned the effort wasn't required.

One of the things you got to love about Rugers is they tell you to beat on it with a hammer. :lol: I keep my 2-lb watch repair hammer on the workbench just so the Rugers stay behaved.

Rev

Rough

Post by Rev » Fri May 02, 2008 6:18 pm

My experience with a half dozen or so Rugers of various models is that they always come from the factory "a little rough" internally. I'll bet after field stripping it and reassembling it a dozen or so times and burnishing that pin and the holes, that inserting the bolt stop pin will get easier. Also the whole assembly procedure will become second nature after a few times as well. So hang in there. It will get easier.

Rev

HisSoldier

Post by HisSoldier » Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 pm

My alignment tool, the brass tip is for popping the mainspring housing lever for disassembly.

The tool being used to line the parts up, the business end is hardened.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

That looks like another good solution for alignment issues. I like the new tool.

R,
Bullseye

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Sun May 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Mine doesn't line up either. I plan on doing something about that.

I would buy one of those.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 am

That tool is a great idea :lol:

HisSoldier

Post by HisSoldier » Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks guys.