Help....Now what do I do? Installed VQ Sear.....

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Help....Now what do I do? Installed VQ Sear.....

Post by Adam67 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 am

I'm preparing my Ruger Mark III slabside for Bullseye shooting. My trigger out of the box was around 3-3.5lbs. So today I striped my gun for the first time ever (that was fun :shock: ). Anyway, I got the VQ sear installed and got everything put back together. Cocked it and pulled the trigger....WOW what a difference. Then I decided to measure the pull. Don't have any thing for that so a put a 2.5lb weight on a hanger. Very carefully lowered it onto the trigger....click. Tried 2lbs.....click......1lb 10oz.......click. It's somewhere around 1.5lbs!!! NOW WHAT DO I DO? That's too low.....I've never heard of this before. I do have the sear lubed with Tetra gun grease. Maybe put the original spring back in (The Sear came with one....along with a note that said to use the original if you have a 22/45....which I don't).

It sure is nice....it just ain't legal.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:12 am

Yes, try it with the original factory sear spring to see if you can pick up those six ounces. Also, degrease the sear and hammer that tetra grease may be shaving a few ounces off too.

R,
Bullseye

Adam67
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Adam67 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yes, try it with the original factory sear spring to see if you can pick up those six ounces. Also, degrease the sear and hammer that tetra grease may be shaving a few ounces off too.

R,
Bullseye
I was afraid you would say that.....oh well, it should go easier the 2nd time. :)

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:50 pm

you can use some dental floss and a plastic milk jug. Get a measuring cup (1 ounce water = 1 ounce weight) and add water and then loop dental floss over the trigger and through the handle of the jug. Lift the jug by the trigger. When it clicks, that's the trigger pull weight.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -