Mk II competition problem?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ekaphoto

Mk II competition problem?

Post by ekaphoto » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I bought a new MK II competition about two years ago. It was left over and never sold at a local gun store so I jumped on it. At first it had some feeding problems I attributed to new. After several hundred rounds and a good cleaning it seemed to do well. I was shooting it yesterday and several times it would not feed the round into the chamber. The round would usually go part way in and stop. Sometimes half way, some times 2/3 or so. I just pushed on the back of the slide and it fed right in. Granted I was using cheap ammo, Rem bulk to be specific so I figure that was probably the problem. My GUESS is these were made with tight chambers and the junk ammo was high end of spec if not out. Other problems that went through my head is tight chamber out of spec, or weak spring. Should I try a diffrent spring? I had my MK III 22/45 5.5 bull barrel and was shooting it as well with the exact same ammo. No problems at all and it is new. In fact I bought it at the range/gunshop and had to leave it there due to CA 10 day waiting period. Any ideas appreciated. BTW I included a photo for fun.

John

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 am

The first thing that I would check for is leading in the barrel and the chamber. Remington's are notorious for causing leading problems in Ruger 22 pistols. There were some pistols made five or six years back that had tight chambers but Ruger fixed that problem in their manufacturing process. Next I'd check to ensure that nothing from the scope rail is interfering with the bolt. Make sure that all the screws or any Locktite sealant hasn't migrated into the inside of the receiver causing drag on the bolt.

R,
Bullseye

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 am

Don't change the spring, clean the pistol good use a bore brush to get the chamber & barrel clean.

Lube the bolt and be sure to lube the spring and rod on top of the bolt.

What happened was dirt or grit probably got in there to cause this.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

ekaphoto

Post by ekaphoto » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks guys. I will pull it apart and use some nice toxic lead out formula I have and se if that fixes the problem.
John