MkIII bolt not flush during reassembly

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

browneyesno2

MkIII bolt not flush during reassembly

Post by browneyesno2 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi. New member here with a question about reassembling the Ruger Mark III Hunter. I've disassembled the handgun before without any problems but this time around I can't seem to get the bolt to sit flush in the barrel receiver.

It appears that the bolt is sticking out a little and I can't get it to go in even with a firm push. I've browsed through the disassembly pages (which are great by the way!) but I have not seen this issue before :oops: .

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because at the moment the handgun is lying in a box like a bunch of scrap parts . :roll:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 am

Welcome to the forum!

Your problem is difficult to understand from the description. If it is possible to post a picture of your pistol with the bolt partially open it would be helpful for troubleshooting. How far did you disassemble the pistol? How far open does the bolt sit? Does the extractor move smoothly when manually manipulated? Does the Loaded Chamber Indicator move smoothly when it is manually operated? Does the bolt cycle smoothly? One of these parts may be interfering with the bolt's operation.

R,
Bullseye

browneyesno2

Post by browneyesno2 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Bullseye, sorry for the late reply as I had to borrow my friend's camera. I took some pictures to show you how the bolt is looking:

shows you how much the bolt is sticking out

extractor moves smoothly, appears to look normal (same story with loaded chamber indicator but couldn't get a decent picture)

I'm afraid of completely reassembling the mkIII because I think the bolt stop pin will be hitting the recoil spring guide on the bolt (hole isn't clear).

Well I hope someone can help me out with this problem because I would really love to go out and shoot this baby some more :D .

-Ken

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:55 am

I don't see anything wrong with the bolt or the bolt face. Is there any lead or crud build up hiding in the corners of the breech? You may have to take a metal scribe around the corners where the barrel meets the receiver to check for this build up. Check the extractor recess for any build up too.

Does the face of the bolt touch flush with the breech face?

Assembling the pistol will not affect the recoil spring assembly. The bolt stop pin will move the rear (butterfly) recoil spring clip forward when seated fully. Normally that part sticks out into the bolt stop pin hole until the pin is inserted.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye