Sear/Trigger Replacement Report

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Sear/Trigger Replacement Report

Post by Blindpig » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:41 am

Bullseye and Boomer, I just wanted to thank you both for your advice and help when I put a Volquartsen sear and Marvel trigger in my Mark II. Everything went as smooth as silk and that also describes the trigger pull now! In over 50 years of shooting, I've never attempted any work of that extent and wouldn't have this time if not for your encouragement. It was very satisfying to do something like that myself and I know I'll enjoy it even more than if I'd had a gunsmith do it.
Thanks again, guys!

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:55 am

Glad it all worked out for you and that you are pleased with the results.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

I'd like to do that myself.

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:18 pm

I've got a notion to do the same thing myself but last time I checked they don't sell the sear for the Mark III separately yet. I really don't think I need the whole kit for a decent trigger pull. I'll have to give them a call a see if they will sell it separately.

DWS

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Dances with Squirrels, Volquartsen does sell the sear separately and, in fact, for an extra dollar, I got them to send me the polished trigger plunger and spring. Give them a call, you'll really like that trigger pull after you put the sear in!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:42 pm

Blindpig- Congratulations on upgrading your pistol. I know the satisfaction of doing it all yourself makes it even more significant.

DWS- The sear for a Mark II is identical to one for a Mark III, even the Ruger factory part number is the same A01901. Just order a VQ sear, it's right for either model.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:50 am

Bullseye, I remember from another post regarding trigger creep, you were talking about side-to-side movement of the hammer. I noticed that there was quite a bit of slop in my hammer/bushing setup. Can you just keep the stock hammer and replace the bushing with say, a Clark? Or if I order a new hammer, bushing and pin from Ruger will it be significantly tighter?

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

VQ Sear

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:40 am

Hmmmm. I thought there was a slight difference between the sears. But if they are the same then I will get one ordered tonight. Maybe it is the hammer I was thinking about.

DWS

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:02 am

Bullseye, I remember another post when you were talking about trigger creep and relating that to the side-to-side movement of the hammer and bushing on the trigger pin. I noticed some of that in mine when I replaced the sear. What's the best approach to get rid of that short of getting the Clark bushing and pin and having to hand fit them?

Whoops! Didn't think my first post got in the system. I'm having a little trouble with my Internet connection today. Sorry for the redundancy.