Question about removing Colt Series 80 safety

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

GUNS4ME

Question about removing Colt Series 80 safety

Post by GUNS4ME » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:55 pm

When removing Colt Series 80 safety parts why does the frame slot needs to be filled or does it? I know this forum is mostly dedicated to Ruger .22 pistols but there is a lot of knowledge here. BTW I would like to remove the series 80 safety on my range gun. I'm stuck with carrying Glocks until I retire :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:00 am

Yes, the frame slot should be filled with an appropriate sized spacer washer in a Series 80 1911, with the firing pin block safety levers removed. Otherwise the hammer can walk to the left and strike the right side of the slide. This could cause detonation failures and will mar the right side of the hammer slot in the slide. Also, the 1911 sear need to be square on the hammer hooks or it could slide off and cause a full auto sequence.

On a side, I've found that most of the squishiness of a series 80 trigger is in the firing pin plunger pin and spring. Honing the plunger hole, and polishing the side of the plunger, helps smooth out the feel of the trigger. Once I do this to these pistols the desire to remove the safety levers and plunger are greatly reduced. Many folks say it doesn't even feel like the safety parts are there.

R,
Bullseye

GUNS4ME

Post by GUNS4ME » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks again Bullseye. The trigger on the gun is very good now as it was worked on by a competent gunsmith. The main reason I want to do this is because I like to strip the gun often for cleaning and this would simplify things. Another question; Brownells sells a frame slot filler but I heard that those things are not hardened and can pin. Does anyone make a hardened filler? or should I just get a couple from Brownells and replace them once in a while ?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:57 am

I just use a mild steel washer when I fill these. There no real stress on the filler it is just there to keep the hammer from walking to the right. If you must use one, then I suggest getting just one. If it ever wears out you can always get (or make) another. I don't think you'll ever wear one out under normal use.

R,
Bullseye