Mag Mod.....

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mag Mod.....

Post by MicroGuy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:46 pm

I always had a problem with the Ruger Mark III mags. When you slide the button down, it's just a rough grinding feel to it. I notice a lot of wear where that button slides too.

Here's the issue.

The face of the button that slides against the surface of the magazine case has a very square edge to it. It's also made of very hard steel. And the case is made of a softer steel that can be stamped into shape.

As you slide the button down to insert ammo, the button angles downward, in the direction you're pressing it (towards the bottom of the mag)

That very square edge now acts like a machine tool, a cutting bit. Because you now have that very square, hard edge, essentially cutting into the magazine softer steel.

So, I took 'em apart and put the button into a Dremel. Fits nicely into either chuck or collet. Set it to a pretty fast speed.

Then I use a high hardness grinding stone in my other hand (for grinding hard steel) and use it to round the edge off.

If you look at the button from the side, the top of it, the surface you press with your thumb is sort of rounded, well, I just rounded the bottom of that surface also.

I also made the surface that the button slides against on the magazine smoother too. I didn't really do much to it except remove some of the cut marks. Not polishing it.

After re-assembly, that button slides up and down SO much better now!! Nice smooth action like it ought to be.

Ruger should be doing this, I don't know how it got out of the factory like this. It's not a major thing, but if it were my company, I'd do it just because it's one of those little things that show you're thinking and just makes it a little better.

It's not a big mod, it only takes a couple of minutes really and is pretty easy to do. The only thing is making sure you have a hard grinding stone (blue) or something else you can cut that hard steel with.

I recommend doing this to all your mags, it makes the operation so much better, no matter how you load your mags and they'll last longer too. (eventually, that metal being shaved off will cause the mag to fail).

It's kind of hard to describe, but if you need a photo, let me know.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:00 pm

I've done this to some of those pesky magazines that don't feed right. One look at the follower button track and you can see the rubbing. Usually I chuck them up in a lathe or a drill press and break the edge with a Jewler's file. The plastic follower allows the button to tilt when depressed and can allow it to drag along the sides of the track.

R,
Bullseye

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Yep, that's exactly it.

But on my buttons, the edge is so square it's actually digging into, cutting or shaving the magazine.

I didn't notice a problem feeding because the tilt is in the other direction, but I can see where that would be a problem.

I use a small rectangle of wood with another rectangle cut out, that slides over the magazine to push it down while I load 'em up, so that could be why I was seeing it so strongly.

I think if you used a finger or thumb to slide it you wouldn't see it nearly as much because of the pressure required.