MKII Bolt Stuck-Questions

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

MKII Bolt Stuck-Questions

Post by greener » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:37 am

I helped someone with a problem with their MKII. The bolt would not move back. The hammer had dropped. I removed the mainspring and the hammer strut was behind the bar. When I freed the hammer strut the bolt still wouldn't move. I took the receiver off the grip frame, saw nothing unusual and gave the bolt a harder tug. It moved back and out popped an unfired round. I reassembled the pistol and it functioned normally. They had been firing the pistol before the bolt stuck. I guess the round went almost all the way into the chamber, stuck and the extractor was engaged.

I'm not sure about the hammer strut. If the hammer strut is not in the groove on the mainspring, will the hammer still work? They had been firing the pistol.

Once in the mainspring groove can it come out of the groove? Or did the strut simply plop behind the bar when I removed the mainspring?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 am

Sounds like the strut came off of the mainspring cap when the latch was opened. This can happen sometimes especially if one is pulling on the bolt to open it. The owner may have attempted to open the mainspring before you went over to assist. It doesn't take much for the strut to move off of the cap a fraction of an inch will allow enough clearance room.

Sounds like the pistol also had a dirty chamber. The unfired cartridge usually doesn't get stuck like that.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:40 am

Sounds like a better explanation. I've had to push a few out, but never had one that engaged the extractor. You can tell immediately when the strut is not in the groove and I've never done anything but go back and do it correctly.

They were shooting RGB's and this was a lead round nose, old ammo they had thrown in the box. I don't recall any markings on the base of the round and it didn't look like the firing pin had struck the round.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:53 am

greener wrote:They were shooting RGB's
'G', glad you were able to be of assistance...
I realize that "we" (this forum) are not the only .22 consumers
(just the ones that count, huh :lol: ),
*but*... it seems that Remington would make some attempt to
improve their reputation for having a "less than adequate" burning ammo.
"everybody" shoots a .22, it's a cheap plinker and a "fun" shooter,
even when you are (also) firing your Centerfires...

I, for one, tend to avoid Rem-ctr-fire ammo, too... based on my
experience with Rem-ThunderBlunders and stories I read here
and on a couple other forums...
oh, uh... I was just browsing... you know.. I didn't INHALE! :oops:

have a good week... -toy

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:07 pm

toyfj40 wrote:I, for one, tend to avoid Rem-ctr-fire ammo, too... based on my experience with Rem-ThunderBlunders and stories I read here
and on a couple other forums...

have a good week... -toy
As long as you didn't inhale...

If you go to the Walther Forum on RFC, the ammo of choice seems to be RGB' followed by mini mags. I've read a few folks extol the greatness of Thunderbolts. I just don't have a rimfire that would shoot either without problems.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
greener wrote:.

have a good week... -toy
You probably did too, Texans are known to tell TALL tales :roll:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:23 pm

toyfj40 wrote:oh, uh... I was just browsing... you know.. I didn't INHALE! :oops:
bearandoldman wrote:You probably did too, Texans are known to tell TALL tales :roll:
well.. ya-know.. a man's gotta Breath... but I didn't In-Hale,
I behaved maSelf when I was on them other forums...