Bolt Stop Assembly (Mk3)

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Bolt Stop Assembly (Mk3)

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:05 pm

This bolt stop assembly has about 10k rounds through it. The bolt release has only been used three times to release the bolt, once was my mistake, the other two times were due to new shooters thinking it was the safety/mag release. Is three times of using the bolt stop in this manner enough to cause this sort of wear? Or is this just the bolt and bolt assembly wearing into each other?
The bolt stop still catches the bolt every time. With this wear, when the bolt stop catches the bolt, the bolt stop seems to be a wedge that fits between the bolt and receiver, which makes me think it may just be the parts getting to know each other.

I just popped a new bolt stop in the frame just in case it's not normal. If it turns out it's just normal breaking in I'll put the old one back in.

Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 am

Geroge,

That's the kind of wear that comes from using the bolt catch as a release. It doesn't take long for the metal to wear similar to what you've posted. As long as it's working there's no need to fix it, but if your bolt stops latching open, then you'll need to dress that metal square again.

R,
Bullseye