experiences installing VQ kit in a 22/45

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

GooseYArd

experiences installing VQ kit in a 22/45

Post by GooseYArd » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:36 am

I found the other posts on installing the VQ kit very helpful so I thought I'd add my own.

The story is mostly uninteresting, installing the kit was pretty smooth. However when I got it to the range I was getting failures to recock the hammer. I suspected the pretravel adjustment, but somehow I managed to forget my allen wrenches at home, what a dope.

When I got home, I scoured Bullseye's posts and found one where he recommended removing the receiver and working the hammer with your thumb. That is an educational exercise and worth spending an hour or two of playtime on.

When I had been testing the trigger adjustments during the install, the mistake I made was that I didn't keep the trigger pulled in while cycling the bolt. Although you can test the trigger break that way, all of the interesting stuff happens after the break.

With the receiver off, you can swipe your right thumb back over the hammer and disconnector to simulate the motion of the bolt. Then as you let go of the trigger you can see whether the disconnector resets and pops back up.

What I noticed while doing this exercise was that the disconnector was not reliably popping back into position. If I pushed it up and down by the hammer, it felt gritty.

This was when I remembered that I had attempted to smooth the trigger by knocking the high spots off the outside of my disconnector. The stone I used was too coarse and left fine scratches in the disconnector where it touches the frame. The combination of those scratches and the lighter plunger spring in the VQ kit meant the disconnector was hanging where it rubbed the thick frame support for the hammer pin.

This was clearly my fault, but I imagine that you might see a similar problem if you had grit on your disconnector.

Anyhow, I polished out the scratches and put the factory plunger spring back in, and now all is well. I'm going to try the VQ spring again soon now that I've got some better polishing supplies.

I now understand how the VQ plunger spring can have an effect other than lightening the trigger pull- it is also involved in resetting the disconnector. I've read in a couple of places people recommending that in the 22/45 you reuse the factory plunger spring, I guess this is why.

Bullseye are there any hazards in polishing the spot where the disconnector rubs the frame on the 22/45?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:40 pm

Only if it isn't mirror smooth - as you've found out through testing. If it is rough it will collect dirt and grit and not operate smoothly. Typically the disconnector lever doesn't need any work done to it - this is a factory only installation part and any missteps could result in a disabled pistol that needs to go back to the factory for repair. You should be fine with what you polished, just be sure to stay away from the little tab on the bottom of the lever. That tab is a critical area and can effect the operation of the trigger and sear.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

GooseYArd

Post by GooseYArd » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:05 pm

I polished the disconnector and its cycling beautifully now. In fact I went back to the VQ plunger spring and the trigger feels like a million bucks.

For the polishing I just used a conical polish wheel on the dremel with a little bit of their compound.

I got one of those Handall things and slid it on before I shot this morning- it feels really good, and I think the fit is relaxed enough that if I make a slit in the back and use some silicon glue it'll be alright. going to try it tonight, will let you know how it pans out.

GooseYArd

Post by GooseYArd » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Good news! I coated the inside of the Hogue Handall with clear RTV (I did not coat the grip itself with it, but I should have), slid it on, and let it dry. Then I used a razor blade to cut out the rubber around the mainspring housing slot, and I put a plastic bristle brush in my dremel to smooth the edges of the rubber around the cutout. The Handall doesn't move, and I can strip the 22/45 no problemo.

I got the tube of RTV for like 2 bucks at my local Harbor Freight store.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:11 am

Sounds like you've found a winner. RTV is strong enough to keep the grip fastened but not permanent so it can be removed later if you decide that the grip should come off. How's it look?

R,
Bullseye

GooseYArd

Post by GooseYArd » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:00 am

doesn't look bad although its a pain to clean up the squeeze-out. The RTV does come off the frame with only a little bit of thumb-rubbing. I'll snap a photo tonight.