What is Grip Screw Size for MK I/II?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What is Grip Screw Size for MK I/II?

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Blast!

I know I have seen this info on either the MKIII.org site or here but darned if I can find it. Been searching MKIII all afternoon (very, very slow).

I will be making a trip into civilization this week sometime and would like to be able to pick up a few dozen screws the proper size for the MK grip panels.

Ruger always wants to know the serial number(s) of the guns I will be using them on and I don't believe it is any of their business. Naturally, they will not give away a few dozen screws and 3-4 is not worth my time to bother with.

If I take a sample in, the clerks usually have no idea still, so numbers will help tremendously. For some reason 6-32 comes to mind. No idea why.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:48 am

Grips screws are 6-40.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:25 am

I used these and they worked really well.

I got them from here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
item #92196A134

A whole lot cheaper than what Ruger wants for them, and you get 50 of them for what Brownells asks for 4 of them (with shipping).

Only problem was having to get a new allen wrench just to throw in my range bag. The big upside was that I no longer have to worry about galling the screw heads or messing up my grips.

Here's how they look installed:
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grip Screws

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:43 am

Woooo Hooooo!!!!!

Appreciate the info Bullseye and jjfunk.

I just ordered several packages. Now I can finish up that pesky Hogue grip project I started about 20 years ago.

No, I am not slow, I am deliberate ;-)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:33 pm

Hey, no problem, I had trouble finding them myself, so I saved the page and location for these so that others could save some time when searching for them.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grip Screws

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:53 pm

I certainly cannot complain my friend. The price is right! Now I can outfit all my MKs with the same grip screws too. Sweet!

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:46 pm

I did the same thing, ordered two "packs", did all of mine, and everyone I know, still had a whole bunch left over so I gave them to members of the MKIII.org board, right as it was crashing. Oh well. Karma points added to my account.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grip Screws

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Great idea!

I know a few folks that would benefit from some new screws.

I wonder if Crimson Trace grips are worth the price for MKs?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Grip Screws

Post by recumbent » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:25 am

arizona-hermit wrote:Great idea!

I wonder if Crimson Trace grips are worth the price for MKs?
I shoot in a bowling pin league with 2 people that use them. In bright sunlight you can't see it on the target.

So IMHO they are not worth the price they ask for them

Bob
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Crimson Trace

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:27 am

Ahhh, makes sense. Had not considered that, and yes, they are way overpriced in my opinion as well.

For home defense (in the dark, they would probably be fine).

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks JJ!
I'd sure like a few of those. JJ, would you happen to have a few loose screws :shock: ...I'm mean some screws loose :shock: ....I'm mean some extra screws I could equitably acquire? :wink: Hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot on that request. :)

SD

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hex Head Screws for MK Grips

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:05 pm

No problem SD, just pm me with your address and how many you need and I will get them sent out for you.

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Song Dawg wrote:Thanks JJ!
I'd sure like a few of those. JJ, would you happen to have a few loose screws :shock: ...I'm mean some screws loose :shock: ....I'm mean some extra screws I could equitably acquire? :wink: Hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot on that request. :)

SD
Now That's funny, I don't care who you are :) I wish that I could, but when I sent out a few batches I didn't package them well and the mail ended up eating them. Therefore I sent out all that I had already. Hey Hermit, what finally worked for me was to stick the screws into a piece of cardboard and tape it up. Then I used the small bubblewrap envelopes. I tried other ways of doing it, but the machines at the post just chewed them up. I tried baggies, tape, envelope in envelope. Nothing doing. FWIW

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks AZ Hermit! Done!

SD

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:08 pm

jjfunk wrote:
Now That's funny, I don't care who you are :) I wish that I could, but when I sent out a few batches I didn't package them well and the mail ended up eating them. Therefore I sent out all that I had already. Hey Hermit, what finally worked for me was to stick the screws into a piece of cardboard and tape it up. Then I used the small bubblewrap envelopes. I tried other ways of doing it, but the machines at the post just chewed them up. I tried baggies, tape, envelope in envelope. Nothing doing. FWIW
No worries, mine will make it though without problem. I routinely mail coins all over the world. Screws will be a lead pipe cinch.

Appreciate the tip!