Volquartsen Accurizing Kit

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Volquartsen Accurizing Kit

Post by Blindpig » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:07 am

Bullseye, I'm considering putting a Volquartsen accurizing kit in my Mark II. I've never done any real gunsmithing but I'd like to try doing this myself. It doesn't look exactly like brain surgery but I could be wrong. What's the best source for step-by-step instructions for disassembly/reassembly of the Mark II? Does the Volqartsen kit come with complete instructions?
I've got a gunsmith friend that I use for most things and I'd really hate to suffer the embarassment of having to take that Ruger to him in a basket and have him put it back together!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:00 pm

Probably one of the best and most user friendly websites for the Mark II is Yzguy's. http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm He has good pictures and descriptions for how to do most anything with the Mark II pistol.

If you're wanting to upgrade a 22/45 then Stilgar's website is pretty good. http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/gu ... ctions.htm

The Volqurstzen instructions will get you there for installing the kit. Supplement the VQ instructions with the information available from the two websites I posted and you've got some of the best resources available.

The VQ Kit is designed for people who are basically familiar with field stripping the pistol and not necessarily one with gunsmith experience. Be aware that the kit contains many things not necessary to get a good trigger pull. I still maintain that a sear and trigger are all that's really required for obtaining a decent trigger pull. Add a pre-travel screw to the trigger and that trigger's feel improves dramatically.

Be prepared for things to go a little off when breaking down the pistol. I like to use a magnetic tray to catch any stray parts that might fall out. The little detent ball in the thumb safety is a real good example of something small that falls out and can get lost easily. There are others but the tray will keep them from getting too far.

You'll learn a lot about the operation of your pistol when you perform this upgrade. And if you can't get something figured out you have a good source of support either here or at Mark II.org, so don't get frustrated because help is not that far away.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Bullseye,
A little trick I used to keep the safety detent ball and spring from going south is to use small needle nose pliars to crimp one coil on the end of the spring slightly for a tight fit on the balls shaft then put the balls shaft in the spring.
Then use the pliars to spread out the last coil on the other end of the spring a little for a tight fit in the hole in the safety. That will keep the ball and spring in place during disassembly/assembly.
Works for me.

R,Jack.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:26 pm

Very innovative Jack, I like it! It's sharing these little tricks with others that makes this kind of discussion forum work.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 am

Great advice, guys. Thanks much! I checked out the 1bad69 web site and those look like instructions even I can follow! Super tip on the safety detent, by the way.
Bullseye, if I buy only the Volquartsen sear, do you think I'll get as good a trigger pull using the stock hammer or should I get the Volquartsen hammer too?
Also, I'm thinking of using a Marvel trigger since it has both the pre-travel adjustment screw as well as the over-travel screw. Do you recommend it and, if so, is it a drop in unit or will it need some stoning, etc.?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:07 pm

The stock ruger hammer is fine for a good trigger pull. I don not have a single VQ hammer in any of the Ruger's I own, that's not to imply any negative inferences about the VQ hammer, they are not necessary for a nice trigger pull. It is your call, there are plenty of people who have testified that the VQ hammer is a nice addition to their pistols.

The Marvel trigger is a good choice as long as you are installing it into a Mark II. The Marvel doesn't fit in a 22/45. The trigger is a drop-in part. You will have to do some adjusting but no stoning is necessary.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:43 am

Thanks again, Bullseye - your advice is always the best!
I'm going to go with your suggestion and use the stock Ruger hammer. Wish me luck on this; as I said, I'm no gunsmith.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:09 pm

I will assist if needed. These are drop in parts and a skill level of disassembly and reassembly is all that's required.

Once you perform the task, you will gain a much greater knowledge of your pistol. Good luck.

R,
Bullseye