Post from the Bullseye List-magazine test

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post from the Bullseye List-magazine test

Post by stork » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Below is a thread from the Bullseye List. Yeah I clipped & pasted, but we need some movement on GTO.
Al

Accuracy Testing article in Shooting Sports magazine I_icon_minipost by Wes Lorenz Today at 1:04 am
I discovered mags can make a difference as shown in the pictures. Almost all of the wide shots came from the same magazine over and over.

Interesting find Wes.
Not that I can find a way to blame the magazine for my occasional 7 or 6 even. But, I have noticed that when I change mags, when Ransom testing, that the first shot is out of the group. Even tho I load 5, shoot 4 and then change mags.

I noticed years back that one of the local guys has always used 1 mag for the entire match and just reloads that one. Never thought to ask him why. Perhaps he knew something that never occurred to me.

UPDATE 25 Sep19:

I gathered 15 (most, not all) of my 1911 mags & set out to do some comparison testing with the RR. The load used (4.0 clays, RP brass, Zero 200 swc, .469 crimp) wasn't the best one for the springfield, averages 2 1/2-3"@ 50 yds. Just happened to be what I had plenty of in my locker for the test. Waited until the last shooter had left for the evening & then set up @ 50 yds. 4 of them were really consistent. 8 of them were mediocre. and 3 were 6-7" patterns. No best brand, the good mags were a mixture of mfg. Barrel was scrubbed every 50 rds. Loaded 5-shot 4-reloaded 5 more with the same mag.

At the end I shot the Zero SWC load the Springfield likes (same except for TZZ brass instead of RP) and it was back to it's normal 2"+ @ 50. Then, just to satisfy my own curiosity of mixing lead & jacketed, I put 10 rds of Zero 185 Jacketed, 4.6gr BE without scrubbing the bore and it went right into it's normal 1 1/2" group. Not bad for a wad gun that's seen in excess of 83,000 rds.

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington