Removing black finish from Bearcat hammer

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Removing black finish from Bearcat hammer

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:32 pm

I was changing my Bearcat spare parts from the coin envelopes they were shipped in four years ago, to zip locks. I noticed the hammer is all black, except bare brushed stainless on the sides. Then I noticed the part number didn't match the manual. It does start with a "K" confirming it's stainless. So I dug out the shipping invoice.

There is an asterisk next to the hammer part number, then it says "for use on stainless/blued guns". So it's a case of one part fits all.

So what sort of black finish would Ruger put on stainless, and how would I remove it if I ever use the hammer? The black areas that would be exposed on the gun have some gloss, but the rest is very dull.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:37 am

Most hammers are carbon steel not SS. The finish is probably just blue. SS can be blackened using special bluing salts. CS hammers will not rust very easily due to it's high Manganese content.

As far as removing it, I don't know if it's SS. Should wear the same as a CS.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:46 am

It's a stainless hammer that's been totally blackened, then the sides were sanded to a bare brushed stainless.

Doesn't matter now anyway, an inquiry to Ruger has them sending me another hammer at no charge. This one is supposed to be all stainless finish. Theiir CS didn't understand the two-tone hammer I was sent, or the comment, it's supposed to be for blued Bearcats only.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols