mkiii 22/45

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jpat

mkiii 22/45

Post by jpat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm

I have a mkii 22/45 5' bull barrel. Impovements to original: Volquarsen trigger,sear, and hammer. Removed mag safety and LCI. installed sam's bushing.

The problem I am having is that the Hammer is not falling when I pull the trigger.
I have just replaced the firing pin spring which was broke. The pistol was working fine before I changed the spring with the exception of an occasional light strike. I have made sure the trigger adjustments are not the problem. I have completly disassembled and reassembled still with no luck. I have been through all the proceedures on the list and still have not been able to figure it out. Please help.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Does the trigger feel lighter than normal? It sounds like the disconnector is not resetting. It should move up/down freely. I have seen these warped/bent where they bind against the frame. Which could be the trigger plunger spring (pushes up on the disconnector), provided the trigger is adj properly. With the barrel removed you can check this. If you install the main spring make sure you catch the hammer or you will damage the sear on over rotation.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jpat

Post by jpat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Blue,
Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried that and the disconector looks straight and is not binding. The spring and plunger are new. It seems like the hammer is catching maybe?? I could get it to reset and drop the hammer with the barrel removed just not assembled. I'm stumped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 am

You may be in my neck of the woods, we could meet if this is not resolved.

Did you my chance install the bushing from the wrong side? May try the original trigger plunger spring and see if it forces it to reset.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:13 am

When the receiver is on the pistol frame the disconnector must contact the bolt to operate properly. If your disconnector is rubbing against the receiver tube then interference may be preventing the reset of the trigger. Take a look at this picture.

The small silver tab to the right of the hammer is the disconnector lever. If it is rubbing or misaligned it will not reset the trigger.

Also, check your bushing and ensure it is not hanging up in the squared hole of the disconnector and interfering with its operation.

R,
Bullseye

jpat

Post by jpat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 pm

I sat down this morning with the intention of replacing the parts that I have recently updated one at a time to see if one of the new parts is causing the problem. I started with the hammer (Put the old one back in with the VQ sear) and reassembled and it worked the first time. So disassembled and put the VQ hammer back in and it worked. I’m guessing something was hanging up the hammer or the bushing. When I field stripped it for cleaning I always clean the frame with compressed air. Maybe I blew something in the works that was causing it to bind. I appreciate everyone’s help.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Also sounds like what happens when the pretravel on the trigger is in too far.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 am

Trigger adj will do that to you.... Or maybe the barrel/receiver was not quite straight and was getting a bind on the disconnector. My gun is pretty sensitive to this alignment.

Any case I'm glad you got it functioning properly.......
David

Custom Built 1911