Thank you Bullseye!

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

izzy

Thank you Bullseye!

Post by izzy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks to the disassembly/assembly instructions on this site, I sucessfully installed a VQ sear in my Ruger MKII Athens Olympic pistol. I'm embarrased to say how long it took but I am mechanically challenged and the next one should be easier. The trigger pull is substantially lighter and being only a serious plinker, it will be fine for my needs.
A quick question or two. I wanted to keep the stock gold trigger that comes on this model so I didn't attempt to install an adjustable VQ trigger. How is the difficulty of the trigger installation as compared to the sear? Just wondering if it is harder to easier to install as compared to the sear. Can you install an adjustable trigger without removing the sear? I have another unaltered MKII and I think on it I would like the sear and the trigger changed out. I don't see too much need for the VQ hammer though. Thanks again, Izzy.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 pm

Congratulations on your install. I takes a little while the first time, likely because the sear wants to travel a little and you feel like you have five thumbs while doing it.

A trigger intall is very easy compared to the sear. No, you don't have to remove the sear to replace a trigger. There's a sequence instruction on the detailed disassembly page for replacing the trigger. You can keep your gold trigger if you like the pull. Or, you can drill and tap it for a pretravel screw and have a target grade trigger in your Olympic model. I'd do a regular PT screw installation and the screw will be hidden when completed. It takes a little longer to get adjusted but you only have to do it once.

I've never advocated replacing the hammer, the sear is enough to vastly improve the trigger feel. Just replacing the sear and trigger is fine for a good trigger pull.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye