Shooting Glasses

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Shooting Glasses

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I am going to the optometrist tomorrow and might be interested in getting some shooting glasses for pistol/rifle shooting. I don't know alot about the subject and would like some recommendations from those who know. They will be used for pistol and service rifle shooting.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Find out if your optometrist will allow you to bring in cased firearms for this purpose. You want to see if the corrections will enhance your sight clarity, and to do so would require the actual equipment. There are optometrists who cater to shooting enthusiasts and their special vision needs.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I went to the optometrist today and ordered a pair of glasses I am going to use as shooting glasses. I am a right handed shooter but use my left eye for pistol, and my right eye for rifle. I ordered a double D on the left side lens for pistol, with the upper D in focus for the front sight. The right side lens, used for rifle, is a single D on the bottom that matches the the D on the bottom of the left for reading distance. Both lenses are corrected for near sightedness. When shooting service rifle, the upper left portion of the right lens is where I view through for service rifle, and should works well with the micro sight I have installed. It was a little of a trial getting the optics receptionist to understand what I wanted, but she seemed to get it. I am thinking of getting some yellow tinted 'clip ons' to try out, but have little experience with the advantages of different colors.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Colored lenses work differently for everyone. I've tried many but stay with the clear lenses. Yellow tends to blend both the aiming black and the white of the target too close together in contrast for me. I've tried rose, amber, green, and grey and switched back to clear for all. I do wear sun glasses when I'm not on the rifle to rest my eyes.

R,
Bullseye