Finally got new VQ Internals & a broken bolt too.

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Finally got new VQ Internals & a broken bolt too.

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

The "Good News" is I finally got around to ordering my VQ internals last week. I got the target sear, exact edge extractor, mark ll hammer bushing, stainless target trigger & the Hi Viz front sight. I wanted the Ruger adj. target rear sight & the V-notch "hunter" sight blade insert but they're back ordered. I actually had a decent factory trigger after polishing a few things but with this new sear it is now one of the nicest triggers I've pulled in quite a while. Amazing how much difference the VQ sear makes. I suppose the new trigger plunger & spring helps some too. I wish the VQ trigger had the grooves like the factory one. I suppose I'll get used to the smooth trigger in time. I wasn't planning on replacing my trigger because of that very reason. That's why I installed the adj. screws in my trigger but after shooting a buddies VQ trigger I really like the way it pulled. The factory trigger seemed to move in an upward arc when pulled & the geometry of the VQ trigger makes it seem to pull a little more in a straight line. Not like a 1911 but a little closer.
Now the "Bad News" I've been keeping a close eye on my breech face as it seems to be getting a little beat up by the bolt. I've seen a couple post on this matter & I think I have one of the barrels where the hardening of the breech face is questionable. Also I noticed a while back that the bolt had a little chip in it right under the hook on the extractor but when I stripped the bolt to change out the extractor that whole chunk between the extractor slot & the pocket where the cartridge sits has broken out. It doesn't seem to affect the extraction process any. I wasn't having any issues before hand neither, I just got the exact edge because it was cheap & shipping was free & it will probly work better for a longer period of time than the factory one. So I'm gonna have to send the gun back to ruger. What kind of turn around times have you guys experienced in the past? I don't want to have my gun at ruger for the rest of decent shooting weather & squirrel season comes in the middle of August. I usually don't go hunting until after a good frost kills the skeeters but I'm kinda anxious to hunt with this handgun as I've never hunted squirrels with one before. So, I'll probly wait til after squirrel season ends to send it in. I don't know yet what I'll do. I do know this much, if you want a better trigger than your factory set up, order the VQ target sear & either get an adj. trigger or install the set screws in your trigger & you will have one of the nicest trigger pulls out there. I can't wait to shoot this one now. I'll probly take it out tomorrow & burn thru a brick or three. My daughter has been wanting to shoot my new 1911 anyways, so it sounds like a plan to me. Be safe & shoot straight.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:22 pm

A little blue loctite on the trigger screws will keep them from moving. The VQ upgrade really does spiff up the trigger.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm

You may just contact Ruger and send a photo of the chipped bolt. They may send you the part without having to send the gun in. Does not hurt to try.

I had my MKIII out shooting the last couple of days. These guns are a blast to shoot. I have one of the polymer self healing ball hanging on string. This makes it fun when it start swinging and your trying to hit a moving target.

I used my MKIII to hunt the tree rats several years ago. I did pretty good out to 40 yrds with it using a 2x scope. I switched over to the Mueller Quick shot because I kept loosing them in the branches while they were moving. Once you learn how to call the squirrels it becomes a lot more fun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Finally got new VQ Internals & a broken bolt too.

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Biggjimm wrote: So I'm gonna have to send the gun back to ruger. What kind of turn around times have you guys experienced in the past?
I had a Single-Six re-barreled due to a bad barrel/cylinder gap. I had it back in eleven days. I'd call them first, like blue said.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols