10/22 International Disassembly

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

redmond

10/22 International Disassembly

Post by redmond » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:36 pm

I just picked up a new 10/22 Internationsl (Mannlicher stock). Went to clean it before going to the range, so pulled the takedown screw and the barrel/action wouldn't come out. Checked the 2011 manual and it did not mention the International model.

Googled the model and found a 2003 manual that does include this model and the secret is that the end cap on the stock has to come off first. No big deal, no sweat after that.

Last edited by redmond on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 pm

My manual made no mention of the endcap either, took me a while to figure out what the problem was, because it looks like it shouldn't hold the barrel down.

I've got a spare endcap and a project I keep putting off to trim down the existing endcap to a cosmetic-only item, or open it up and make it slide off easier - mine needs to be put in a padded vise and the gun gently pulled off of it, and the use of a vise is just making it tighter, if anything. In the long run it will be set up as one of the following:
a- have a slot to put a hook for removal
b- not need to be removed
c- pop off with hand force once the screw is out

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:39 pm

oh, and yours is prettier than mine, even if the red-dot looks strange on it ... mine has Tech-Sights, and if you're looking for a good shooting sling for that front loop, Tech-Sights also had a M14 or GI-style cotton sling in the 1" size, the wider slings generally used for real position shooting won't fit that front attachment point.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 am

If you contact Ruger Customer service and give them the revision/edition number, on the bottom corner of the front page of your 10/22 manual, they will update it with a revision for the International model. I see the B 2/03 R11 manual includes this step as a special note for disassembly of the International model on page #21.

R,
Bullseye

redmond

Post by redmond » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Bullseye - I will do that. The one I found online is B 2/03 R11 as you suggested.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 am

It was great that you pointed this oversight out concerning the International models. I went to the Ruger website to see if they have already included the change in the version available for download, B 3/12 R23, but they have not.

Sometimes it amazes me how often details like this get overlooked when people publish product instructional manuals.

R,
Bullseye