Mark lll 22-45 magazine stuck

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mark lll 22-45 magazine stuck

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:36 am

We were going to go to the range after church today so I got my guns out to give them a once over & clean the oil out of the barrels & my mark lll 22-45 has decided not to release the magazine. When I push the release th mag pops down about an 1/8 of an inch & won't budge. Trying to search the archives but haven't found anything yet. Thanks. Biggjimm.

P.S. By the way, the magazine is not in backwards.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 am

Sounds like the Mag disc may be bent a little causing it to bind. With the mag release button pushed you may be able to work it front to back motion to get it out. What happens if you seat the magazine again? does it pop out the same distance when released? With the bolt back you may be able to push on the mag lever. Sorry for no more detail but mine has been removed ever since I got the gun.

But I thought you removed the mag disc from your gun. If this is the case it can only be the mag release not fully releasing. Push hard and see if it will come out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Is this an "RP" model? If so, try removing the grips to ensure that you don't have one of the screws hanging up on the mag. When you're releasing is the bolt open or closed? If open what do you see from the inside of the breech looking down onto the magazine when it gets stuck?

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes the mag disconnect has been taken out. Sorry about that I meant to include that info. It appears that the little hook on the trigger is interfering with the mag. I'm gonna have to back that over travel screw out a bit. The trigger was resetting fine & I didn't think about the little hook on it not clearing the mag. I'm gonna back it out a bit & see how it is. Thanks guys.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I got it working good now. After I took it all apart & had the trigger in my hand I realized it was the pre travel screw holding the trigger in to far & not the over travel, so I wouldn't have had to take it apart beings I have the "delta" pre travel mod on my trigger. Oh well. That's what makes tinkering so much fun I guess. And isn't it rewarding to solve your problems yourself or with a little input from the guys on here rather than having to take it to someone & pay them big $$ & be without your gun for who knows how long? Especially when you realize that you inadvertently caused the problem to begin with. That's always embarrassing to pay someone good money to tell you that by you doing this to your gun, it caused that to happen to it. Alas I'm headed to the range to shoot my Encore with my new .223 & .44 mag barrels. And of course well shoot the 22-45 & the 10-22. That goes without saying. Thanks for your input Bullseye & Blue. Biggjimm.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:53 pm

You can file off that trigger spur and then reset your pretravel back to the way you like it. It is really an unnecessary addition to the trigger anyway. That would give you plenty of room for your trigger to operate.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I was wondering about filing that thing down. What is it for? Looks like maybe it keeps you from being able to pull the trigger to fire the gun if the mag is not seated all the way???
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm

The spur is to seat the mag if not fully seated. The only problem with trying to do that is you have 50#+ trigger, like the safety is on.

File it down and be done.

Congrats on you self diagnosis. Always gratifying. As you learn the inner workings all this stuff makes sense.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Just as I figured that spur is not needed anyhow. You know Blue, I started thinking it worked fine before I fooled with the trigger & once I started the diagnosis & removed the barrel I could clearly see the spur on the trigger was hanging the mag. I backed the pre travel set screw out a hair & it all worked fine.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.