"Delta Mod" help

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

"Delta Mod" help

Post by Biggjimm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I was going to install a pre-travel set screw as per the delta mod method. The stickie says it can be done to factory triggers but my trigger has quite a bit less "meat" on it than aftermarket ones obviously, but in doing the math if I use a 6-32 set screw I'm only going to have .052" of material on either side of the drilled & tapped hole. Between the threaded hole & the trigger pin hole & from the threaded hole to the lower edge of the trigger face area. If I use a 4-40 set screw I'll have .060" on each side. Will this be enough material left on each side to support the set screw? I think I can get by using a 4-40 tap beings the factory trigger is a softer alloy than the aftermarket trigger referred to in the sticky. I think. I'm trying to keep from buying an aftermarket trigger if I can. My trigger suits me fine other than all that pre-travel so if I can fix that myself with my factory trigger I can use that money to by something else like a sear or ammo or something you know. Thanks again guys as I know somebody or three will set me straight. That's what I love about this site, a wealth of info that you can trust cause 6 or 8 diff. people giving input on a given topic. Thanks. Biggjimm. On a side note if I have to send this gun back to Ruger, will they replace my altered factory trigger with a new one? If so I might go ahead an get a VQ trigger as it'll probly be as cheap as a new one from Ruger or close to it. The reason I ask is my breech face is looking pretty beat up for no more rounds that I've ran through it. I read the posts concerning this & I'm gonna watch it for a while & see if it gets worse. I'd rather have my gun setting on Rugers bench in the winter months than half of the summer anyways. Thanks again. Biggjimm.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 pm

You would be served better to use the 4-40 screw. The clearance is too tight on the factory triggers to go with the larger diameter set screw. Be careful with the 4-40 tap, if you try to cut too much at a time the tap can break. Use plenty of cutting fluid and go slowly when making the new threads.

R,
Bullseye