Cylinder wiggle?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Cylinder wiggle?

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Question:
Is slight cylinder wiggle to be expected, in the locked up position, on revolvers?
I have noticed about a 32nd" on mine.
Hakaman

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 am

I'm assuming you're talking about cylinder play (rotational) and not end shake (front and back movement) of the revolver's cylinder. A little wiggle (rotational) is normal on a revolver in lock up as long as the cylinder wants to stop at a certain position. This means it doesn't rotate slightly to one side and stay there then you can rotate it to the opposite side and it will stay there too when you let go of the cylinder. It should try to return to one spot each time you let go. Also that natural spot should be perfectly aligned with the barrel, for each cylinder. If not then you may have a timing problem with your revolver. If it is not spitting lead when you shoot then likely your timing and lock up are fine.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 am

I'm assuming you're talking about cylinder play (rotational) and not end shake (front and back movement) of the revolver's cylinder. A little wiggle (rotational) is normal on a revolver in lock up as long as the cylinder wants to stop at a certain position. This means it doesn't rotate slightly to one side and stay there then you can rotate it to the opposite side and it will stay there too when you let go of the cylinder
Right, I am not talking about end to end, as there is no movement at all in that direction, but a slight rotational movement that tends to stay where I move it. It is only approximately 1/32ish", and it's the same on both my 617 and 686. I don't recall being spit on by any lead. I eyeballed the line up of the 686 from the muzzle end(making sure the revolver is empty about 10 times) and it appears to be right on. It just goes against every fiber of my being to perform that check.
Hakaman

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 pm

IIRC, the play should be checked with the hammer dropped by pulling the trigger, with the trigger still full to the rear. This is the position everything would be in when the round fires. The play is usually less than with the gun at rest.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols