Optics Ruger 22/45

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bliss

Optics Ruger 22/45

Post by bliss » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I wear bifocals all the time. Is there a sight and/or scope that would help me to see the sights and the target. Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 pm

This is more of the mechanical capabilities of the eye rather than clarity of vision. The eye can only focus on one plane at a time, near or far. With a dot scope you focus on the target not the illuminated dot itself. This is the opposite of the iron sights method, you keep the target in focus and leave the dot in your peripheral vision. Since you're not maintaining an alignment with the dot this is easy to do if you keep the dot in the center of the scope's lens. However it does take some getting used to from a shooter's perspective. Many folks do the opposite and end up fighting the dot to keep it steady on the target. Focus on the target face and the dot will settle down relatively easily. If you corrective lenses allow you to focus on the target then that is all you'll need to get the job done.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 am

Welcome to the aging eyes group. Like Bullseye already said the dot sights are the way to go. That is what I have on mine. They take a little to get use too but once you do your on target much faster since your only dealing with 1 object. There are 2 type of dot scopes. The hollow graphic/reflex and tube. The tube is like a regular scope with no magnification. The reflex type projects a dot onto a lens. I have the Mueller Quick Shot on my MKIII for several years now. I'm still on the original battery that came in it. The most popular tube type is UltraDot. It has a smaller MOA (2) than my QS (3). A lot of the cheap ones have a 5MOA dot.

When I first started using the QS after a while the dot looked like it had a tail. This was caused by eye strain concentrating on the dot not the target and a astigmatism problem. Once I got new glasses that cleared up.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911