Grip options ?

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Grip options ?

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 pm

I think I have posted pictures of my Ruger BHConvertable 45 before, it has some nice looking custom grips on it. Just the same, the "whole" grip is just too small for my hand. I seem to always be moving the gun around to try to secure it firmly, which takes away from things like safety, shooting accuracy, and comfort. My question is this: "Do I have the option of going to a gunsmith and them being able to put a different (larger) grip frame on it? I am at the point of wondering if I want to sell it for this reason, or not.
Thanks, Hakaman

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:17 pm

there are tons of aftermarket grips out there for your blackhawk, it just might be a trial and error thing. you could look up houge to see if any of theirs would work for you. I'm sure Brownells or Midway's Customer service could set you up too.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:49 pm

The website included shows the Hogue oversized grip I was interested in. You will notice what it says in red letters, it does not fit rugers with the "liberal promoted" locking mechanism. I can't find any grips, like this Hogue, that fit my Ruger with XR3-RED and locking mechanism in it.
Haka

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=3610

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

greener said the old grips fit his..... or i might have imagined that...
:?

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I called Hogue and they reaffirmed what I expected. Their soft oversized grip
will not fit on the NMBHC w/locking mech, as the mech gets in the way of the installation of the grips.
Same answer from Ruger
Same answer from Pachmayr
I called Altamont and left a voicemail but they never called back.
It appears there is"nothing" out there. I if it's possible to make my own.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 pm

I'll go look at my .45 Colt Blackhawk which has the locking mechanism. IIRC the lock is UNDER the grip and you have to remove the grip to lock the revolver. I took the wooden grips from my single six (no lock) and put them on the .45 colt (lock) with no problem. The grips for my no lock NMBH .357, single six and NMBH .45 (lock) are identical.

PS. When I looked into grips for the .45, Ruger had grips for lock and grips for no-lock. they looked the same to me.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 pm

I have two sets of grips for my BH, the originals, and a set from Buffalo Bros.
http://www.buffalobrothers.net/grips/ruger_grips.htm
The reason I want a new set is to try to get a larger sized grip that would fit
my hand better. I get the same response from Hogue, Pachmayr, they can't
seem to commit to making a grip due, to what I think, legal reasons. They
said they haven't figured out how to secure their style grips to my style grip
frame. We can put men on the moon, but can't make oversized grips for this frame
style. The problem seems to be mounting the stirrup that holds the grip on.
If the grip halves are flat, like Buffalo Bros they don't pose an issue, but that style doesn't
seem to come in an oversized size.
Hakaman

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 pm

It looks like I'll just have to adjust to coiling my pinkie under the grip,
as I have read in the Ruger forum, "it's the way the Good Lord intended man to shoot".
The target below is 20rds at 30 feet, not too bad, just forget about the one I yanked.
There always seems to be an errant shot in every group for me. I guess I can't
complain about accuracy, the gun shoots well, and I think I'll keep it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Looks like it shoots good... You have nothing to complain about.

I wish I could see the sights on a gun clearly. :( I like to shoot with what I normally wear. But I'm not shooting bullseye either.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Target looks pretty good, H'man.
I wish I could see the sights on a gun clearly. Sad I like to shoot with what I normally wear. .
Those blurry front sights certainly are a challenge.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 am

greener wrote:Target looks pretty good, H'man.
I wish I could see the sights on a gun clearly. Sad I like to shoot with what I normally wear. .
you would think that n these high tech times you could buy a decent front sight that would not get blurry, like the one we had back in my younger days.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Target looks pretty good, H'man.
you would think that n these high tech times you could buy a decent front sight that would not get blurry, like the one we had back in my younger days.
Workmanship and attention to quality just isn't what it was 40 years ago.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 am

No spring chicken anymore.

I shoot enough to be proficient in point shooting, no problems hitting COM. I still know my sites are there, just out of focus. The last time out I was out I was holding 2" groups at 10yrds with my 3" Kimber UCII. My avg in around 4" groups with my practice ammo. I was testing some 185gr XTP loads (5.4gr WST) that I had worked up to max. Discovered my gun shoots best with a .1gr off max. My shooting partners always tell me when lighting is going to be bad or I like loose my glasses I have the advantage over most. I have the laser grips on this gun but elect to shoot without it 98% of the time.

I have looked at the Crystal Lens implants, but not covered on my insurance unless needed due to cataracts or other medical condition. My left eye has the best vision, I shoot right handed. I have at time shoot and my POI is 4" to the right, I know my left eye took dominance. If this happens I just blink the left eye and the right on takes over.

The fun of getting old, parts wearing out. :(

sorry for the drift.......
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 pm

there are tons of aftermarket grips out there for your blackhawk, it just might be a trial and error thing. you could look up houge to see if any of theirs would work for you. I'm sure Brownells or Midway's Customer service could set you up too.
I am now understanding my grip dilemma a little better. There ARE after market grips to fit my BH, because the XR3-RED frame is the same as the previously used XR3 frame. As long as the grip panels you purchase don't interfere with the new internal locking mechanism, you are ok. The Hogues, which I was interested in, mount with a screw from the bottom into a "stirrup" to hold it in place. The issue with my XR3-RED frame is that the "stirrup" piece has no room to be mounted because the locking mech preoccupies the space needed to make room for it. The Hogues were what I was interested in because they are an oversized grip. Pachmayr posed the same issues. I am thinking of how I can mount the stirrup, but it looks difficult to impossible for me.
thanks, Haka