Red Dot Scope

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Red Dot Scope

Post by Bud33 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm

I've put a BSA 30MM red dot scope on my MKIII 22/45 and am having trouble seeing the dot at the outdoor range.
This my firs attempt with a scope and am wondering if this scope is known for this problem, am I having battery problems, or is it just me?
The first time out, I had the problem and someone said to try his.(I think it was an ultra dot) and it was good. So I came home and put in a new battery. I did some dry firing (with the intensity set at 3) and it was good. I went back out to the range and had to set the intensity to 11 but I was getting a good dot, for a while. Then it seemed like it got weaker and I finally gave up.
Is it me, the scope or the batteries :?:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:55 pm

It is normal to need to dial up the dot intensity in a bright outdoor environment. A BSA scope is not high quality but the dot is usually large and visible. Trying a new battery may cure the brightness problem and it's the least expensive alternative to try first. I normally add a polarizing filter when I have trouble with glare, but that's not an option with a BSA.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:41 pm

I have a couple of those low priced red dot and they do then to was out in bright daylight especially against a light target' The do stand out better against a dark background.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:55 pm

Another old post I can put my 2 cents worth in.

Getting a bum brand new battery isn't all that uncommon. They run off of lithium batteries, which are "supposed" to have a shelf life of about 10 years.

Now, that particular battery has been out for a while, it's a popular style/type, so it's been in use for a long time.

How long has it been sitting on that little rack at the store?? Some can get pretty dusty.

I've had my share of bad batteries. I have one device that uses 6 of the dang things, and unless I get six good ones at one time, it doesn't work.

And it's becomes such a problem (and expensive), I"ve pretty much quit using it.

And it could be you have a bad scope too. If it's not wired up right, has a short or something, it could have a higher power drain on it. The batteries are made for long life, not high current drain.

So, if you get one that does that, I would go back to the store, talk to them about it, tell them what you're doing, pick up another and see if it's the same thing. if it works, they owe you a battery. if you get the same drainage thing, I'd go else where and try to get a fresh one. Then send the scope back if it drains right off again.

(and be sure you're turning the thing off, I always leave 'em on and drain it)