Extended safety for Mk II 22/45 (homemade)

The place to discuss the inner workings of firearms.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

BudE

Extended safety for Mk II 22/45 (homemade)

Post by BudE » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:22 pm

I've been agonizing over this for some time. Decided to do it myself regardless of looks. Took a 5.7x28 spent cartridge and cut the neck off and then cut it to .280 inches deep. The interior space of the cartridge was about .02 inches wider than the Ruger safety. It went on not quite solid so I put some gorilla glue in the brass cup and put it on and turned it safety side down for the glue to dry. Didn't want the gorilla glue running into the innards. I wanted a temporary bonding so if I have to get it off to tinker around in there some more I'll be able to do that. I was told that adhesive silicone would be better but I didn't have any on hand and I wanted to get the project done. Doesn't look as nice as I'd like but it works... so far! Couple of pics attached, I hope.
Bud

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Looks like it'll do, not long on looks but it is function over form.

Is your LCI broken? Looks like a crack in it to me right where the "A" is in Loaded.

R,
Bullseye

BudE

Post by BudE » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Nahhh, when I took it out I was scraping the red out and dug a little too deep. My addition seems to work perfectly. I took a very fine stone on the dremel and smoothed the edges down. I think I did great for an old guy with shaky hands

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I cut off the tops of Bic ball-point pens with a razor blade about 1/4" longer than the Ruger safety button. Add a little super glue gel to the inside of the pen top with a toothpick; wait about ten seconds; slowly press the top over the safety button with the gun on it's left side so that no gel runs down into the works.

Have used this idea for years and never had one come off during competition. Wife can't understand what happened to all of the pen tops!

BudE

Post by BudE » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Bullseye, as usual you were correct, the LCI bar was cracked. Finally decided to take it out altogether and it came out in pieces.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 pm

If you call Ruger customer service they'll likely send you a new one. You don't want to run the pistol with a broken LCI or misfeeds could occur. The other option is to leave it out and just have the empty slot exposed - won't hurt anything to use it that way.

R,
Bullseye